jferraro17

Opulence, I has it...
As per the conversation the other day about switch positions...I am considering placing my fuel pump switch (low pressure/carb pump) on the little dog house right in front of the fuel selector.

Can't find any advice about electrical wiring this close to fuel...other than above/below orientation. Any advice/insight?

Thanks-

Joe

I like the idea

of grouping similar items in clusters. Seems to make sense to me. All of the turbine equipment I've flown had switch, valve and gauge groupings. Of course Av Gas may provide a different set of problems than Jet fuel.
Be interesting to see what others have to say on the subject

Steve

Should be no problem...

...but do not support any electrical wires from the fuel lines. Also see AC43.13-1A, Section 7, paragraph "f" to see what is really "recommended".

I normally turn the fuel pump on during take-off's and landings (carburated engine). So I put my fuel pump switch close to the throttle. I can flip on the fuel pump without taking my hand off the throttle.

I think having to reach down by the fuel selector would be a real distraction.

Hey Joe,

I am sure you already thought of this, but just in case....make sure that you can reach those switches with your harness tight. I know you have an "A" model, so no gear towers, but I can tell you that my cabin heat is low on my left gear tower, just a touch ahead of where the dog house is on an "A", and I can just touch the knob (not pull it) with the harness snug.

This is hard to test when you are under construction unless you already have your cushions and harness, so I thought I'd mention it as something to check.

Paul

I normally turn the fuel pump on during take-off's and landings (carburated engine). So I put my fuel pump switch close to the throttle. I can flip on the fuel pump without taking my hand off the throttle.

Same here. Out of site, out of mind. You don't want to put something like this in a "nonstandard" position

PS. You want to put your switches and controls close to the throttle and stick. This minimizes the amount of time your hands are not on the controls.

Rick--

Good point. I'm thinking checking the selector right before TO, aerobatics or landing would be a normal flow, so this switch location would be appropriate. It's about an 8" drop straight down from the throttle on an -8A.

J

Last edited:
Paul--

Good point, and you're right, tough to check at this stage. I still haven't drummed up the courage to climb in the dang thing yet...:eek:

Bill--

It's an RV-8A...EVERYTHING is close to the throttle and stick THAT'S the problem...fitting it all in.

J

Last edited:
I grouped all my switches

Together on the bottom center of the instrument panel in a line, right above the corresponding circuit breaker, but I had the space to do that. My thinking was I wanted the switches in my direct field of view so I wouldn't leave a landing light on or the boost pump on accidentally in the event that I didn't use the checklist, but who does that. I tried to set up my cockpit so everything could be turned on and off or adjusted with my left hand, other than the few functions I have on my stick grip which are solely for the radio (flip flop, memory, PTT, intercom). I think the grouping idea might work well for some people, not so much for me.

For what it's worth.........

I just couldn't put any electrical connections in so close a proximity to fuel line joints in the cockpit. Yes, I have electrical wires that run through that area, but they are all carefully shielded with "no insulation broken". No matter how good a switch is, it is still capable of arcing and those line flares are surely capable of developing a small weep over time.

I put one fuel pump switch in the panel and another on my infinity grip, I use the one on the grip mostly along with the flap switch, very convenient. I really like that grip. Has trim, starter, ptt, fuel pump, flaps, autopilot engage & comm flip/flop's on it. "just need one more switch for Guns".

Good luck in whatever you decide. "It's your hog and your corn".