rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I was looking on that auction site this evening for switches for my panel. I am using the VP Sport, so the switches don't have to carry nearly the current as a switch-fuse setup. I want a lighted rocker switch, but not the big carling type.

I saw this pre-built 8-switch-fuse panel that looked interesting. I don't need the fuses, but this looked pretty nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-8-Ga...05&prg=10050&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=181434954536&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vertically-...05&prg=10050&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=181434954536&rt=nc

Has anyone tried something such as this? I have seen some switch panels that are designed for boats that would fit nicely in a plane. Even if you had to change the wiring to aircraft grade, it could be a time saver.

Any suggestions for small, lighted switches for my panel? I do not plan on night flying, so being too bright is not a concern for me. I want to be able to see a light when something is on.

IMO, you'd save little time and end up with switches of unknown quality/dependability. The time involved in wiring switches has little to do with actually installing switches in the panel, and everything to do with routing/labeling wires to and from the switched devices. I was advised - by several respected experts - to avoid the modular switch panels. Glad I did. :D

That makes sense Terry. I don't need them for my plane since I have the VP Sport. What intrigued me was how it was all in one package. What I think is a pain putting my panel together is cutting the square holes for the switches. One long rectangle would be fine, but 8-10 little squares is too much.

I would go with the Carling switches, but they are just too big in my opinion. The site Galin listed had an interesting toggle that you can get in red, green, or amber.
http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/pw-5536pt
I think I may order a couple of these and see how strong the plastic is. I really like the idea, but if they can snap off easy, they will not work. It would make for an interesting panel with the whole toggle lighting up.

I've bought some stuff direct from Chinese eBay sellers. Some of it is incredibly shoddy, good only for recycling. Some of it I'd consider using in my car or boat... but I have yet to see anything I would trust in an airplane, at least not for anything even close to critical like fuses, switches, etc. I'll spend the extra time and money to buy quality components from reliable manufacturers and fabricate what I need to.

That makes sense Terry. I don't need them for my plane since I have the VP Sport. What intrigued me was how it was all in one package. What I think is a pain putting my panel together is cutting the square holes for the switches. One long rectangle would be fine, but 8-10 little squares is too much.

I would go with the Carling switches, but they are just too big in my opinion. The site Galin listed had an interesting toggle that you can get in red, green, or amber.
http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/pw-5536pt
I think I may order a couple of these and see how strong the plastic is. I really like the idea, but if they can snap off easy, they will not work. It would make for an interesting panel with the whole toggle lighting up.

You can also get those switches at any local auto parts store. VERY convenient for making sure they are exactly what you want.

This is what my switch panel looks like when lit up:

51-SwitchPanelCloseup_zps351168d8.jpg

They look even better at night.
:cool:

Last edited:
Galin, that is exactly what I want. Those are perfect. I am less concerned about the cost and more interested in the size, that they light up, and look nice. Thanks for the picture. I will be copying yours!! How about pictures of the rest of your panel so I can copy that too! Thanks.

Just be aware that the usual lighted switches which flow +12V to ground for the lighting don't work with the VP-X. The VP-X switch inputs just get pulled to ground, and they don't have any power to light up the switch. You would need switches with a separate circuit for the lighting, and those are not very common. Depending on how the wiring is done, you may also need to put a diode on the circuit. I had to retrofit my fuel boost pump annunciator light this way. The VP-X switch circuit was putting out just enough current to make the LED annuciator glow even with the switch off. I had to swap out the SPST switch with a DPST. Check the VP-X install guide for more info.

Well Bruce, you have to spoil the fun! I had forgotten about not being able to use lighted switches with the VP. I remember reading that now after you reminded me. I guess that means it doesn't matter what switches I use, it isn't going to look cool like Galins.

How are you liking flying your plane around? I wish I was done!

Galin, that is exactly what I want. Those are perfect. I am less concerned about the cost and more interested in the size, that they light up, and look nice. Thanks for the picture. I will be copying yours!! How about pictures of the rest of your panel so I can copy that too! Thanks.

You can get these switches at a local auto parts store or Aircraft Spruce to see if they are what you need. I color coded them based on how I use them while flying.

GREEN = Circuits that are normally "ON" when the aircraft is or will be in motion. (Avionics, Beacon, Nav/Position lights)
BLUE = Circuits that may be "ON" or "OFF" while airborne depending the stage of the flight. (Strobes, Pitot Heat, Defrost Fans)
AMBER = Landing and Recognition lights. I have the RECOGNITION lights on at all times while flying. I turn on the LANDING light whenever I am cleared to land or Takeoff.
RED = Should be "ON" with caution (Primer pump; It will flood the engine if activated while airborne). I wired it so the fuel pump switch must be on in order to activate the primer pump. My fuel pump switch is on my joystick and a BLUE indicator button lights up on my EMS when powered on.

Here is a photo of the finished panel with the actual color coded light switches:

YSV15DME_zpsb39639b4.jpg

But as Bruce stated, they need 12v to light up and the VP-X doesn't provide it.

Last edited:
switch panel

You can also get those switches at any local auto parts store. VERY convenient for making sure they are exactly what you want.

This is what my switch panel looks like when lit up:

51-SwitchPanelCloseup_zps351168d8.jpg

They look even better at night.

GalinHdz,

Did you get the switch mounting "panel" (the rectangle that the switches are mounted in to) from the auto parts store? It looks great! How did you apply the labels?