alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm wiring a Garmin 320A transponder. I have a ground wire, a "aircraft power" wire (pin 15), and a "switched power output" wire (pin 14). I assume the aircraft power wire goes to (comes from) my fuse block/buss, but to what does the "switched power output" wire get attached and what does it do?

Thanks

I'm wiring a Garmin 320A transponder. I have a ground wire, a "aircraft power" wire (pin 15), and a "switched power output" wire (pin 14). I assume the aircraft power wire goes to (comes from) my fuse block/buss, but to what does the "switched power output" wire get attached and what does it do?

Thanks

It's used to power a blind encoder -- so that the encoder is only on when the transponder is on. Alternatively, you could wire the encoder to another power supply of your choice and not use the switched output from the transponder.

Switched power

Hi Steve,
if you have an encoding altimeter that requires power it can be wired to your garmin switched wire pin. The switched power means that pin will have aircraft power on it when the garmin is turned on .
Hope this helps

Paul

pczar3
N694BP Reserved

Converter modules...

...or it can power the Dynon serial-parallel converter module...:)

The GTX-320 needs a parallel input for altitude data, and most EFIS units output serial data.

This saves a fuse/breaker, since if the transponder fuse blows/breaker pops, it doesn't matter if the converter is powered or not....:)

gil A

Thanks! Big help!

I was wondering whether or not I'd have to power the Dynon encoder converter module with its own circuit (and fuse). Didn't seem to make sense, but it makes a lot of sense to use the switched power from the transponder to power the converter as well.