db8

Well Known Member
Have tried to figure two things out, but haven't been able to. First, I will have an avionics switch that I want to run more amps than the switch can handle. Where is the best place to get a high quality, light weight relay that will work for up to say 30 amps in this application. Second, I have some lighted switches that are really neat that are rated at 5 amps, but I want to use them for landing lights, taxi lights, pitot heat, strobes, nav lights etc, but those are all more than the 5 amps. Once again, where is the best place to get high quality, light weight relays that will work for say 10 amps. All the ones I have found are kind of large and heavy (ice cubes they call them). I have seen some that Bosch makes, but they are inexpensive and I don't know about the quality. Thanks for any help on this. Dave

I used several Tyco VF4's in my -6: http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/telectronics.asp, one of which for an avionics master. OEM's use these relays to activate airbags, among other critical things, so quality shouldn't be too much of an issue.

However, I also installed a bypass switch/breaker (30A) to power the avionics bus, which I mounted with a red switch guard on the far end of my switches. This breaker gets its power directly from the battery, so I can power my efis and radios when the master contactor is off.

If you want to see my wiring diagram, send me a pm and I'll get you a pdf.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying.