gblwy

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I'm looking for inspiration from you technical guys ;-)

Yesterday I fitted the switch panel. The very last screw (low down on the left) went in part way and jammed. I don't think it's a cross-thread. When I try to unscrew it, the hex stand-off post that it screws into just rotates anticlockwise, so I cannot remove the screw.

I can only just see the post rotate (with a torch - flashlight), so cannot grip it with anything.

Any bright ideas on how to remove the screw without damaging the unit, or the front panel?

Cheers...Keith

You'll need to figure out a way to get a hold of the "hex threaded standoff" and remove the screw. I used an angled needle nose pliers and sliped it under the switch panel in back.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Fixed

On further investigation, the screw in question does not go through the flange of the instrument panel floor so it was possible for me to remove the switch panel with the front panel still attached by the offending screw.

With the panels out, I was able to reach and hold the hex stand-off with needle-nose pliers. I suspect the screw holding the two sections of hex together may have sheared.

I tapped the hole to ensure a screw would go in easily, then reinsterted the screw, while holding the post with pliers. If this is a common problem I'd recommend two things.

1. Check that screws can be instered easily before installing the switch panel. If not, tap the holes.

2. Install all screws that hold the front panel and the switch panel (but do not go through the aircraft structure) while the unit is off the plane, holding the hex stand-offs as you do so.

Before reinstalling the unit, I spotted the three missing nutplates on the flange of the panel bottom, as shown to be left open in the forward fuselage plans. I thought I had missed a subsequent step to install them, so I did so this morning. Turns out that if you do that you cannot install the switch panel because the bottom row of stand-off posts foul these nutplates. So I had to take 'em off again.

I also spotted what I think is a redundant nutplate in the bottom left-hand corner of the forward fuselage. There isn't a corresponding hole in the switch panel.

Cheers...Keith