tdk

I'm a low-time, rusty pilot trying to finalize the G3X panel design for my RV7. Two questions I'd like opinions on...

1. Boost pump switch. The boost pump is an important item in both startup, takeoff and landing checklists. Most folks put this switch near the starter button as part of a startup checklist. A few put it near the flap switch and engine controls, which would be a logical place for a landing flow. Where should it go?

2. Switches above or below? Most folks put a row of toggle switches below the big EFIS. I'm a little worried about bumping important switches while manipulating the big EFIS knobs during turbulence. I see DR has his switches above the EFIS, well out of harms way. Anyone had problems with accidental (de)activation of switches along the bottom of the panel?

-Tom

Hi Tom,
I have my boost pump switch to the left of my flap switch. It makes it convenient to use during takeoff and landing.
All of my switches are located below my G3X displays. I have never bumped them in turbulence. Personally I think they look better and provide a more straight forward access than trying to lay them out above the displays. Depending on how many you have, you may not have room above the displays. You may want to put some annuciation lighting above your displays. The G3X has two specific outputs to drive Annunciation lights, Master Warning, and Master Caution. In addition I included an Alternator Fail, Door Ajar, and Oil Pressure "idiot" light in my annuciator panel above my G3x EFIS displays.
Take a look and the well thought out panel that Brian Chesteen put together for his RV7 http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=93138&highlight=brantel for some encouragement.

This was before I labeled everything but the fuel pump is adjacent to the flap switch, this way my throttle hand thumb can easily reach both of these switches.

I used locking toggles for master and ign switches on the far left followed by the start button and then the avionics switch. Light switches are under the PFD.

The only time a switch has been moved inadvertantly is when my brain malfunctioned!

g3x-panel-008a.jpg

I tried to group my switches together following functions and checklist flow like the newer Cessna's I learned in. My switches are on the bottom of the panel and the only inadvertent switch bumping happens when I'm crawling out of the plane. For the 7 (stick in left hand) I personally like having the switches I use during flight right by the engine controls and easily accessible with the right non-flying hand.

Boost pump, carb-heat, trim, flaps and alt air...
B4F633B1-AACD-4162-A7CB-9448758F6EF1-298-00000025FE96B05F_zpsd19eb1a9.jpg

Lights in the middle...
5F20F891-6917-4D35-ADA9-C5C29FE3E88F-298-00000026079C7C58_zps14b791dc.jpg

Everything on the left gets turned on at startup and stays on until shutdown..
879C3DE7-384A-4DFC-88EB-312CFACDCD31-10083-000005AD2731E237_zps5d8af938.jpg

Make the panel fit your flying and style.

One thing I really like about my plane is the seats feel just right, the stick grips are in the perfect position, the rudder pedals feel natural, I can run through my checklist blindfolded and hit every switch, aren't experimentals Great!

Switches should be organized by "phase of flight", not function. Thus grouping all the ligh switches together isn't really desirable. Put the landing and taxi lights close to the boost pump which should be close to the throttle.

Check out the panel page of my website for a better description.