RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I would like some E-pinions of my labels for the switches that go an the left and right sub-panels. I will have dual P-Mags, you can see there is not a traditional ignition. The buttons are the same size as the toggles but a momentary action ON-(OFF), this breaks the 12V power to the P-Mag to check the internal function of the PM alternator.

I want to make sure the labels make sense, I have been looking at this so much I am not sure the labels make sense to a stranger. Hopefully they do. I drew up the labels in Turbo CAD and then copied them to a transparency to see how they look. I will use Decal Pro for the actual labels like I did for my CB panel.

Right side

ke9c9d.jpg

Left side

311swlh.jpg

Shot of the switches I am using, one of the push button is on back order

2i8faf7.jpg

mike

Its always hard to critque these things since everyone has there one way of thinking about the problems. Just a couple of thoughts occur.

1. On the ignition switches. You'll be using the on/off switches a lot and the push to test less. Have you considered separating them a bit. Like maybe the 2 on/offs together and the test buttons below them. Grouping helps make the functionality clearer.

2. On the master. Do you really need to switch the alternator B-lead. Have you considered just fusing it and running it straight to the main bus. Then use the field to shut the alternator down on the rare instance that its necessary. Getting that B-lead off the panel is really helpful from a noise standpoint. Keep it out front where it belongs.

Just my initial thoughts after a couple of airplanes.
There's lots of ways to skin the cat.

Good Luck

Oh yeah

and how about the boost pump switch down near the throttle quadrant. Kind of goes along with the pre-launch and pre-landing checks (Mixture, prop, pump, etc...)

My thought process

I will give you my thought process so it might make better sense.

Its always hard to critque these things since everyone has there one way of thinking about the problems. Just a couple of thoughts occur.

1. On the ignition switches. You'll be using the on/off switches a lot and the push to test less. Have you considered separating them a bit. Like maybe the 2 on/offs together and the test buttons below them. Grouping helps make the functionality clearer.

I understand the point but I decided they needed to be this way from a human factors standpoint. When doing the power check on the P-mags you turn one off and then kill the 12V power to the one running (momentary push of the button), if the engine stays running then you know the internal alternator in the P-mag is doing its job. If the small buttons were next to each other there is a chance one could mash the wrong button and get a false indication that the mag checked good (killing power to the mag that is off still results in the engine continuing to run. With them grouped this way, there is less chance of the this mistake, you mash the button to the right of the switch that is on.

2. On the master. Do you really need to switch the alternator B-lead. Have you considered just fusing it and running it straight to the main bus. Then use the field to shut the alternator down on the rare instance that its necessary. Getting that B-lead off the panel is really helpful from a noise standpoint. Keep it out front where it belongs.

The two power switches are alternator field switches, the B-lead goes through the ANL then to the in BAT side of the start relay, it then flows to the battery relay and off the Start side of this relay to the main bus. I am using some of the wiring to start the engine to also route alternator power to the main bus. I think this is what you are talking about.

Just my initial thoughts after a couple of airplanes.
There's lots of ways to skin the cat.

Good Luck

All good points that you make I just thought I would share how I came to the conclusion that I did. Thank you for the inputs.

Rodger that!

Of course that why you need to check out more thoroughly in experimentals.
They really are all quite a bit different.

Enjoy!