C-J

I'm looking for a standard switch hole punch that has the little key in it, are they available anywhere? I really can't see getting this done via a laser or water jet. Any suggestions are appreciated. C-J

switch hole

I too tried to find the punch, but to no avail. Ended up just tracing the hole with the switchplate as a template, and removing the bug chunks with a drill. Then filed out the remainder with my small files. Fits perfect, and only took a few moments. Really no big deal at all.

Hope this helps...Chris

I just finished my switch hole by using a step drill and drilled to 3/4" as per plans. Then I used the switch plate (the round thingy in the switch box that shows the position of the switch) as a template and used small jewlers half round files to file out around the notch. Harbor freight has the files for a very small cost.

Woked great and completed in about 1 hour.

Do you really need key ways?

You may not really need the key ways. I've seen some people that did strips on the rear face of the panel with holes drilled to accept the keyway washers but it's probably not really needed for most of the switches.

I put most of my switches in without the keyway washers. There were a few that needed them and for those, I made individual backing plates with a hole drilled to accept a keyed washer.

BTW. When I got my panel from Affordable panels, all the switch holes had key tabs cut. However, my Honeywell TL switches needed slightly larger holes so I had to drill them all out.

We have it!

Carl,
EAA Chapter 133 owns the punch you are looking for. I found ours at McMaster-Carr. The punch costs over $100. Perhaps you would be interested in renting our punch? I am the keeper of the chapter's tool lending library. If iterested, contact me directly. You can find my email address by clicking on my user name.
Charlie Kuss

Gary Bricker

I got a set of the Rotacut's from Avery. These are great for cutting holes. Two sets are available.

Easy to do...

If you want the little keyway, layout the centerline of your switches, then layout the center of the keyway above (or below) the centerline. Pilot drill the center of the switch, drill the little keyway hole, then use a stepdrill to enlarge the center hole to the proper size. Leaves a nice little half moon keyway, no big deal!