CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Is it worth wiring up a switch for the Gretz heated pitot since it's automatic? I'm wondering if there's a point in having a dedicated switch if it's always going to be on anyway? I'm thinking that connecting it to the avionics master would provide on/off control for maintenance and if all else fails, I could turn it off manually via the VP-X.

On power up, it draws about 7 amps. That tails off as it heats up. The idle current is probably under 1 amp. I would still kill it if not needed. In the event of an alternator loss, I would want everything off that was not needed.

True, but I have an Emergency Bus switch that only includes essential electronics. In case of power issues, I would shed the avionics master and the pitot would go off with that.

I put it on a switch on the vp-x. Some h ow I manage to still have one open switch port on the vp-x.

Makes sense to have a switch ...

I put mine on a toggle. I always want the ability to manually kill unwanted loads. My concern was the unit failing in a way that left it on all the time. $5 for a toggle; easy decision. :D

Since I am using the box, I think for the rare times I need to kill it, I can do it from the efis. I'm a little low on switch space and given the automatic nature, I'll forgo the switch.