Our avionics company uses a local laser engraver for all text labels. It is the best looking and lasts forever. It isn't very expensive either. You may want to search for a laser engraver near your location. I've seen many do it yourself methods but I haven't seen any that are superior to the real engraving method.

Decal Pro

I used the Decal Pro system - can be a pain to get the hang of but looks like silkscreening. Do a forum search for Decal pro.
Jim Sharkey

Search the forums for "Brother" and I bet you get a bunch of hits on threads talking about DIY labels. My experience has been that people generally change at least a few things on their panel between the time they lay it out and the time they fly it, so if you laser engrave it up front, you'll be changing something and need alternative labels before you're finished.

Paul

I laid out my panel on CAD& had it laser cut. I then drew up the labels in CAD, converted them to a JPEG file and had a Vinyl sheet printed at a local sign shop. I use a single sheet (goes on in one piece) for all the switches and individual labels elsewhere. Its also cheap enough that if you have to re-do anything you can get another sheet printed.

If your panel is black then you get the background Vinyl printed black (its a pretty good match on my panel). If I had my time again I'd paint the panel grey & get the Vinyl printed black on clear - My local sign shop can't print white on clear)

Dave

I believe Stein had an article in Kitplanes awhile back outlining the different panel labeling techniques and their respective benefits and drawbacks. The best bang for the buck seemed to be customized rub-on lettering, with a protective layer of clear coat over the top when completed to your satisfaction. I think these are available through Spruce and others.

erich

use epoxyclear coat

The best thing I found for test equipment was to use rub on letters. When it is all done and you are happy with the labels, then coat the letters with clear epoxy. They will never rub off.

Johnny stick
Looking to start the RV10 in 2 years