TomVal

Well Known Member
I finally had it happen to me. I received a call the other day. Someone called wanting my “N” number. They offered to repaint my aircraft in exchange for the number.

Not being the builder of my aircraft, which already has a very fine civilian style paint scheme, I have dreamt of having a paint design of my own. There are three military styles that I like: the USAF Primary Trainer scheme, P-40 Flying Tigers, and of course the P-51 Mustang. If I were to choose the P-40, I would consider painting the canopy to replicate the P-40 canopy frame and to give the aircraft a slight fast back appearance.

If I were to choose among the three styles it would be a tossup between the first two…it would depend on which paint colors were on sale that day.:rolleyes: The Mustang is ever popular, however, I haven’t seen any RV’s in the P-40 livery.

I decided to pass on the offer. This past year of aircraft ownership has been a real bummer.:mad: My aircraft was subject to the ECI cylinder AD. After installing new cylinders, five hours later, my FADEC system took a dump, leading me to replace the system with API fuel injection and slick magnetos. I am finally about to complete the project, and quite frankly, I’m burned out and tired of turning wrenches.

The thought of now getting the aircraft ready for paint, etc, is presently beyond my limits of patience. I am nearing that stage in life where you no longer buy green bananas. I have chosen to fly versus to paint....while I still can.:D

Last edited:
why not..........

take the $ and change the N#? just a thought. my 3 " numbers would be very easy to change, they are vinyl. :) anyways i need a paint job, its 11 years old. anyone out there need 26ED?
Tank-01-june.gif

Last edited:
take the $ and change the N#? just a thought. my 3 " numbers would be very easy to change, they are vinyl. :) anyways i need a paint job, its 11 years old. anyone out there need 26ED?
Tank-01-june.gif

My numbers are painted on. If they were vinyl, I would have just given him the number and would have applied my reserved ?N? number.

Maybe we should start an ?N? number for sale or swap thread?:rolleyes:

I finally had it happen to me. I received a call the other day. Someone called wanting my ?N? number. They offered to repaint my aircraft in exchange for the number.
.:D

I am curious what N number could possibly be so cool that some one would pay several thousand $ for it? N8RV or N7RV are cool but not worth thousands. Does your N number have some Corporate interest like N1GE?

N-number for paint....

I will relinquish my N-number, and you only have to paint the top half of my plane!! :)

N43TX

Come and get it!

I am curious what N number could possibly be so cool that some one would pay several thousand $ for it? N8RV or N7RV are cool but not worth thousands. Does your N number have some Corporate interest like N1GE?

Ouch. You cut me to the quick, sir. :D

Actually, during my long build, I was offered several opportunities to relieve myself of N8RV in exchange for money, tools, women ... the tools were tempting.

The primo corporate number, IMO, is N1KE. Couldn't get any better.

If only we could use zeros!

If the FAA allowed us to use zeros in our N-numbers I could change mine to my wife's name N0RA.

Now that's interesting... I was going to post about the Canadian registration that I saw recently and was sure i'd seen on an airplane... C-FEAR. GREAT registration, wish i'd thought of it. :) But I thought about it and decided i'd better look it up first to be sure... And to my surprise, it's not in the Civil Aircraft Register... So now i'm wondering where I saw it!

I was contacted by the owner of a concrete company in Philly...

Uh oh... First hand experience with concrete companies, AND Philly... You may want to worry about "An offer you can't refuse." ;)

hehe.. don't know about 36DD, but we met the pilot of the Learjet N32DD.. (yes, it was a she)... without doing any scientific measurements.. I'd say the tail number was appropriate :)