Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Got a Mel question…….

The RV-8 turns 30 in 2025 which means it is eligible for the X in the N number on the plane In leu of an experimental placard. Considering we are in the second half of 2024, if the plane was headed to the paint shop in the next few months, could you have the NX### painted on the plane and an experimental placard that could be removed come Jan 1, 2025? Let’s say both are on the plane for about 2 months.

My records show that the -8 will not be eligible for the "X" until July of 2025.

Perhaps someone from Van's can chime in.

Short answer is “No” - you’d be breaking the rules while you displayed the “incorrect” N number before the calendar allowed you to do so. Rules are binary, otherwise you have people interpreting the differently….

However, since it is commonly accepted that you can use vinyl to apply N-Numbers, you maybe could have a sign shop make a rectangular piece with the “correct” (non-X) N number on it to place over the number you want to display later (the one with the “X”) , then have a ceremonial “ripping off” of the vinyl number on the appropriate date…….

You’d hate to get ramp checked on Christmas day with the wrong number, one that ( I can tell you through personal experince) draws attention!

As Paul says, use of the "NX" already draws much attention from the FAA because many inspector don't understand that rule anyway.

As a matter of fact, whenever I certificate an E-AB that is properly using the "NX", I recommend that the pilot carry a copy of the rule in the aircraft to show compliance.