vonjet

Well Known Member
is it ok to use 2 swages on rudder cables. I used one swage per plans but I left the excess cable long enough to do a second swage behind it.
Anyone see anything wrong with this?

Zinc Plated?

How do I know if they are zinc plated? These are the ones that came with my kit. They are shiny copper color

Why would they give me copper?

Why would the kit manufactuer give me copper sleeves if it is necessary to use Zinc plated ones? Or is it even necessary or just a better option? I already swaged all four of my cables with what was supplied and I dont really want to try and remove them if I dont have too.

copper vs zinc

But what about the copper thing? I used copper and not zinc plated...am I going to die?

But what about the copper thing? I used copper and not zinc plated...am I going to die?

Are you sure the cable is stainless? Copper sleeves are fine on galvanized cable. Plus galvanized is slightly stronger.

Thats what the description says on the part.

They say they are stainless control cables. I just looked at Lancair's site. They also do not supply Zinc plated nicopress sleeves only the copper ones like what came with my kit.
I would think if Zinc plated sleeves were a must with stainless cables then they would sell them and the manual would state something about it.

"Borrowed" from Teamkitfox.com: For what it is worth, I was informed several years ago NOT to double swage cables. The reasoning behind this was that unless done perfect there would be more slack in one piece of cable between the two swages. This would allow the two pieces of cable two work against each other and cause them to loosen. Example: between your hands hold two pieces of rope and leave one looser than the other and then try pulling on the two and after a while they would both be the same. The question then would be did only one let the rope slide or did both allow movement? I was told to take the time to do the one properly and you will never have a problem.

Also Skystar issued an SB a few years ago reference stainless cables and copper sleeves having compatability problems and having builders replace them with zinc coated sleeves.