dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
I am gonig to start using GBP-988 for the remainder of my project. I briefly looked at the can and they offer very little in the way of prep instructions. I believe I read one post and they suggested MEK. I would appreciate any advice.

Happy holidays

Don MacMillan

MEK is a particularly nasty solvent. I'd use it as a last resort for anything.

Isn't the SW product a self etching primer? If so, you should be just fine giving the parts a soap and water wash down. If you're hardcore, you could use a scotchbrite pad as a scrubber.

If you have pen marks, etc. that you need to remove, laquer thinner is a cheap solvent.

GBP988

I've used GBP988 since day-one. I use MEK (lightly), just to clean off finger smudges and ink marks, and have had great results. Just be sure to wear a respirator with both products; neither one is anything close to healthy!

I've used 988 on the tail, wings and fuselage. I haven't tried topcoating it yet but so far I've scuffed and cleaned with rubbing alcohol (the idea being that if it gets on your skin it is much better for you than MEK!) and then sprayed two coats of 988.

after it dries you can scuff it with red scotchbrite and it stands up pretty well so I'm fine with the final result. I did a previous 8 with epoxy/alumaprep/alodyne and just hated the process!

-Mike

Aceton

I clean with aceton, no problems in a well ventalated area. Works real nice. I like to clean before I scuff with the red pads, then I clean after the scuff. I used the 988 on small parts I like how hard the two part industrial wash primer is, so I use it exclusively now. It takes some time for set up and clean up but not bad. I also don't think it is as heavey as the 988, the 988 is thicker, it sort of fills inperfections. The other reason I like the wash primer is it is transparent, I want to see when cracks start.

Cheers