Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Tonight there was a TV show on that I stumbled accross called Survivorman. This episode took place in Ontario someplace in a remote area with snow and freezing rain the whole time. The guy who does this show apparently puts himself into survival situations and video tapes himself making documentaries of sorts. In this show he was inside a wreck of a small plane that appeared to be a small high wing rag airframe that was torn up by the simulated accident. Using this plane as a shelter he went a week showing how to survive with only things that somebody could expect to have with them in a situation like this. Using parts of the airplane he was able to trap a rabbit, start fires, etc. He even showed how to skin the rabbit in such a way that the skin was removed inside out in one piece and he was able to use it as a large fur glove afterwards. Later when he decided rescue was not likely he showed survival techniques to find his way out of this remote area over a couple of days. This was a fantastic show and might be of interest to other pilots. Not knowing anything about the series I set up the TIVO to catch any other episodes that might be coming up. Watching somebody that knows how to truly live off of the land even in harsh conditions is eye opening. It got me thinking about learning more on this. Does anybody know of any good books or videos with recommendations specific for pilots? I'd like to put together a kit for the plane with some items that would help in case of the worst happening.

http://www.survivorman.ca/episodes.html

Thanks,

Last edited:
Looks like an interesting show, but googling up the N number shows that it DID crash there and didn't need to be trucked in. I see why the TV show didn't say that, because the accident was fatal.

What channel is it on?

I am hoping to catch that particular episode.

:cool: CJ

Consider this must see TV for pilots

Here in central Ohio, Survivorman comes on Friday nights at 8 (or is it 10pm) on the Science Channel (formerly Discovery but spun off into its own separate channel). I watch as many episodes I can, as he is in different locales and climates each time. Some of my favorites include the Everglades, Death Valley and adrift at sea and beached upon a deserted island. I take notes during this show, as I see how I can apply them to my situation in the unfortunate (and hopefully eternally unlikely) event I go down WAAAAYYY off-airport. :eek:

It's a great show!