Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Today I received a survey from the FAA in the mail. The huge envelope just showed that it was from the FAA's Civil Aerospace Medical Institute and frankly scared me to death to receive. Any unsolicited correspondence from these folks is alarming to say the least. Tearing the envelope open with my heart pounding wondering what the problem could be I found a survey inside regarding medical examiners and the process of renewing ones medical. They also have questions about themselves if they were involved in the process. This survey is supposedly random and involves 16,000 of the 600,000 active pilots.

This is simply a heads up for the group. If you receive a large white envelope like I did there is no need for the onslaught of adrenoline and fear as worst case scenarios rush thru your mind. ;)

Best,

I too received an unexpected etter from the medical feds today. :eek: My letter was not so benign. :eek: "I have reviewed the information submitted by you in support of your request for an airman medical certification...." :eek: :eek: Oh, you mean the pile of paper I supplied in 2003 after prostate surgery? And again when I got my 3rd class renewed December 2003 and again in 2005? Now after almost 4 years they want me to supply a report every year.

No problem, I expected that. What I didn't expect was it taking them so long to read their mail. :confused:

I agree, getting a letter from the feds has never been a good thing.

dlloyd3

You expected it to make sense?

dlloyd3 said:

No problem, I expected that. What I didn't expect was it taking them so long to read their mail. :confused:

I agree, getting a letter from the feds has never been a good thing.

dlloyd3

Lets see...I'm an English Native with a Green card and RV7a, headhunted for my position "over hear" by one of the Worlds most prestigeous companies...Now I guess if I (or the many other non US citizens that hold a PPL) was a terrorist threat it would make sense to do a background search like today...

But no, I can pack all kinds of explosives and even hold a boxcutter to my own throat (no room for a PX with all that explosive) and do heaven knows what harm...But no need for a background until I start my IFR training...$130 please!

If I as going to do something I think I would do it VFR...:)

Not angry, just amused at the political hoops we sometimes have to jump through.

Frank

FAA

dlloyd3 said:
I too received an unexpected etter from the medical feds today. :eek: My letter was not so benign. :eek: "I have reviewed the information submitted by you in support of your request for an airman medical certification...." :eek: :eek: Oh, you mean the pile of paper I supplied in 2003 after prostate surgery? And again when I got my 3rd class renewed December 2003 and again in 2005? Now after almost 4 years they want me to supply a report every year.
dlloyd3

Isn't it about time to get the FAA out of the vicinity of our prostates?
Any ideas?

[email protected]
RV6 770 hours

Something new is going on within the FAA Medical organization

Something new is going on within the FAA Medical organization. A guy with a Pitts in the hangar next to me has been reporting a pain medication not on a prohibited list that he has been taking for years and reporting properly on his medical form with each renewal (the man was an Air Force flight surgeon). This past month he was grounded by the FAA and his medical examiner says it will probably take at least 90 days to clear it up.

back at the ranch

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, all the pilots who crash into homes, smack into buildings and takeoff on the wrong runway killing all their passengers have a valid medical certificate. Me thinks perhaps the FAA is busy shadow boxing in the vain attempt to administer medical servailance by "Remote control". Just my opinion.

Try AOPA for medical issue help

Rich -- never had to use the AOPA yet, for medical issues, but talking to friends who have, they were very pleased with the help.

Ron

Virtual Flight Surgeon

I too have had my opportunity to file mountains of paperwork with the FAA to get un-grounded. "Virtual Flight Surgeon" outside Denver is absolutely amazing and a wonderful resource in getting through the administrative maze.

http://aviationmedicine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home

I'm afraid the FAA's concept of "modern" medicine is in keeping with their belief that a C-172 is a modern aircraft.

Good luck to anyone once the FAA Medical staff gets hold of your certificate.
Clay Cook
RV-8: paused

Letter

Rich - I sent you an e-mail - please let me know if you didn't get it - I am unsure if it went through or not - Ed