UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I'm making progress on my empennage. Last night my father in law came over and we used the c-frame to dimple the HS skins. Unfortunately, on the first skin, we weren't as careful as we should have been. There are now several light surface scratches from the male die where we were hunting for the hole.

I'm assuming that this is no concern, as I imagine the entire surface will have to be scuffed up before painting... but I thought that I'd ask the experts before we start riveting the skin on. Below is a picture of the skin.

Thanks,
Jason

hsskincr8.jpg

scratches ?

You call those scratches ? I'll show you what scratches look like. :D:D

I don't think you have a problem. Looks like the start of a showplane to me.

I always found that putting the male die on the C-Frame stem was better because I was able to ensure that by holding the stem down and inserting the male die in the dimple hole, it prevent me from scratching the skin and most importantly, ensured the skin didn't move. It forces me to firmly hold the stem down. I accidentally placed a few extra holes strategically in a few places on my tail skins. It hurts the hand a little more but I figure a little pain keeps me on my toes.

Last edited:
Leave the spring off...

I always found that putting the male die on the C-Frame stem was better because I was able to ensure that by holding the stem down and inserting the male die in the dimple hole, it prevent me from scratching the skin and most importantly, ensured the skin didn't move. It forces me to firmly hold the stem down. I accidentally placed a few extra holes strategically in a few places on my tail skins. It hurts the hand a little more but I figure a little pain keeps me on my toes.

This also works well if you don't use the return spring.
Lift up the stem between holes, move the skin, and gently put the stem down so the male "pin" is in the hole, then whack it....

gil A - in Ft. Collins, CO...

And after about fifty holes you'll get tired of that and won't care about some tiny scratches at all. ;) The kind of scratches you show there would actually polish out pretty easily. Since I decided early on that I would paint rather than polish I never worried, even as I scuffed up my wing walk area working in the cockpit. After cleaning, primer, and paint, who will know?