Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Looking at an empennage kit to buy and from the photos it looks like there is some surface oxidation on some of the parts. How much of a concern should this be?

Thanks,

Tom

Is it built or still a basic kit?

I would be more concerned with a built up piece than if it was still just sheet. Minor oxidation can be treated easily unless it is buried in an assembled piece.
On the other hand, there are a lot of empennage kits come up for sale quite often and you could hold out for one with no concerns.

I would walk if you can not inspect it yourself...

Owner says all the non-alclad parts were primed.

...especially a "75%" completed assembly. Again, there are a lot of kits that come up for sale if your willing to be patient. Partial kits can be missing hardware and if you have to undo something he already did then you might as well start over. I would be less concerned about the oxydation and more concerned about what mistakes and workmanship you might be inhereting.
The empennage kit is the least expensive kit. If you can not hold out or the right deal on one, buy new from Vans.

PS- "all non-alclad parts" are the Spar Doublers and fiberglass pieces. I can not think of any other parts. The hinge brackets are powder coated and the ribs and skins are all Alclad.

Thanks

going to take a look at it tomorrow. He sent me new photos, and what had looked like a dull oxidized finish in the original was bright aluminum in the new photos. I didn't want one that was so far along, but the price is too good to pass up. Empennage's do come-up a lot, but not always where one can drive to, inspect and pick-up.

Thanks for your advice, I'll let you know how it goes,

Tom

Crossed the Rubicon

Purchased the empennage today. Nice workmanship and I'm very pleased.
Now I need some tools. :)