rvanstory

Well Known Member
This may be a warning from the only pilot in the world that was uninformed about a SureFly ignition warning. My lesson happened on a cross county trip where I had a spark plug failure in flight. That failure led to a damaged wire lead. In checking the harness, the technician diagnosing the problem used a "high energy lead tester" on my harness without removing the harness from the SureFly. So, it burned up my ignition.

There is a warning sticker that is pre-applied to the SIM. But, if your SIM is installed on left side, the warning is on the bottom of the case and not visible!! Since my SIM came already installed from the engine building, I never saw the warning sticker on the SIM and was unaware of the potential problem. So neither I or the tech knew of the prohibition of using tester with leads attached.

My solution was to have two metal "warning stickers" made and riveting them to my baffling as a more visible warning to future techs.

If you have a SureFly SIM, please be aware of this warning. It cost me 4 days in a hotel (problem happened on weekend) and around $5k in parts and labor to get it rectified. Other SIM users, please learn from my mistakes.

FF25B3AE-979F-4B12-9294-10950825691F.jpeg

938CD0C2-B864-4F1E-9FDE-A101A61D1FD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that news. Very frustrating and a trap for young players, I'm sure.

Certainly that's very a good solution and a heck less expensive than the alternative, so well done. I might look at doing something similar. Although I'm the primary maintainer of our machine there will come a day when the kids will be flying the plane and I won't be around.