RVG8tor

Well Known Member
OK, I have my RV-8A fuselage on a rotisserie with the wooden false wing spar that the QB kit came with. I want to sit in the seat and get a feel for where to put some switches and or modify the consoles. I am not sure what is the best way to support the plane to do this. I have put jack stands under the wooden false spars and this supports the plane in roll and it feels solid, but I am not sure this is enough support for my 250 pound but to get into the seat.

I know others must have done what I want to do, please give me some pointers. I am thinking it would be better to support the entire bottom and not just with the jack stands. My other thought is to put the jack stands under the gear weldments which are already installed. (RV-8A) Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Mike,

My QB -8 fuse must have sat in a cradle I built for a year of construction, supported by the false spars and a saddle under one of the baggage compartment bulkheads on a low roll-around work stand. I was in and out of it constantly, and it suffered no ill effects. Of course, I am not quite as large as you, but hey, in flight, all the load is on the wing spars!

Paul

I ran a 2x4 thru the spar center section and a 2x4 under the fuselage at the same point. I then screwed some 2x4 "legs" to each end, which joined everything. Cut a piece of 1/4 plywood to use in place of the aluminum floor sections. Worked great for me.