Junglepilot

Well Known Member
Had another experienced RV builder/owner come by my hangar a few weeks back and looked over my project. His only comment was he would add a bracket to support the Red Cube install (left side traditional install just like the pix). He said some people he knows have had issues due to vibration resulting in eventual fuel line leaks [without a support bracket under it].

I want to add this now if needed as I am ready to rivet on top skin.

Anyone else hear of this or added any bracket? It was new to me. (If you have please include photo in your response).

Thanks

In many cases, if you have Aeroquip-style hoses connected to both sides of the Cube, you don't need a bracket. The hoses tend to serve as rudimentary vibration isolators. OTOH, if you hard pipe (Al) the red cube, then it is best to have a rigid mounting bracket.

Sandy----I've seen alot of different install. EC recommends NOT hard mounting the cube to the engine to lessen the vibrations. BUT---I've seen quite a few, and some with some pretty short hoses that suspend the cube between the servo and the flow divider. I've even seen it attached with adel clamps attached to the pushrod tubes. I havent heard of any issues==other than an occasional leaking AN fitting.

So----YMMV
Tom

Mounting Red Cube

Have checked out the mounting of the red cube in several production aircraft around the field where I have my hangar. In all cases the hoses are clamped on each side of the cube but the cube is not hard mounted to any structure. I have chosen to mount mine using this method as well.

Sandy,
Considering your avatar, isn't duct tape the only answer??? :D

I can change...If I have to...I guess.

Here's how I mounted my red cube" on the firewall:

wlrc.jpg

It's just below where the starter solenoid is at. Just made a simple mount from extra aluminum angle that I had and riveted to the firewall. Mounted a 45 degree fitting on one side to clear the starter solenoid and a straight fitting for the exit line to the engine driven pump. As per the flight data systems instructions, it's downstream from the fuel filter and the fuel line does not drop after exiting the transducer. They also mention "do not attach the transducer directly to the engine to avoid excessive vibration." My only violation was not having the "desirable" 6" of straight fuel line on either side of the cube, but we all have to make compromises somewhere.

Don't know about you, but I would be a little worried about having the fuel flow cube only supported by a fuel line on each side especially if you're going to be pulling any G's out there.. I used a couple of AN3 bolts with SS stop nuts in case of excessive heat. Firesleeve too as recommended.

Not flying mine yet but hope this helps.

Last edited:
UPDATE

First thanks for all the replies. Been away for a while on business.

Here is a photo of my install. I am planning on a simple support using some Adel clamps on each tube before and after the Red Cube or a piece of angle like Carlos did (above) and then attached to the sidewall somewhere. Then again, in the spirit of Red Green maybe duct tape is the answer :)

red_cube.jpg

The original issue had to do with the B nut connectors on each end of the Red Cube and it's weight with vibration and/or G forces over time causing failure of aluminum flairs (cracks) & eventual fuel leak at the B Nut (like you get with flairs at the brake connections).

Thanks again!