idleup

Well Known Member
I originally posted this in a silverhawk FI thread but feel it should be its own...

I am getting the Superior IO-360 with Vertical Draft with the Airflow Performance Fuel System... Does anyone know of any issues I should address at the time or ordering/building the engine rather than have to exchange or modify parts later?

There are several issues with the combination you have chosen. The AFP injector body is larger than the Silver Hawk for an O-360, and so needs an adapter at the sump end, making it even longer. It also does not have a flange on the intake end making it difficult to fit the Van's filtered airbox. The options you have are to use a Sky Dynamics injector relocator kit, and fabricate some kind of intake horn, or to use an AFP 90 degree elbow. With either of these options it is difficult to fit an airfilter. It is slightly easier with the AFP 90 deg elbow (I thinks its actually 95 deg), as you can use the selectable Y fitting - that Dan has - and fit an air filter on one leg (so you have ram air one way and filtered the other). You will have to work out where to make the inlet hole in the cowling yourself. The regular Vetterman exhaust may not fit (I haven't got that far), so you may have to get a 4-into-1 system. Your next problem will be the throttle & mixture cable brackets that you will have to fabricate yourself, and work out the length of the cables required. None of these problems is particularly difficult to solve, but they are likely to be time consuming as I have not heard of anyone producing a kit of parts - if you find an off the shelf solution please let me know!

If I knew what I know now when I ordered my engine I probably would not have ordered the AFP injection and would have stuck with the Silverhawk on a Sky Dynamics injector relocator kit (to get a flat bottom cowl). Please post a few pictures when you are done!

Regards, Pete