mlw450802

Well Known Member
I just received a brochure in the mail today announcing the range of Superior's XP offerings.

They list
XP320
XP360
XP361
XP400.

The 320 is available with three compression ratios standard, giving 150, 160 or 165 HP.

picnicandothers1141fe0.jpg

picnicandothers1131vs7.jpg

-Mike

Last edited:
It's a shame they don't keep their (otherwise excellent) website up to date.

XP361???

I guess they needed a product to fill the gap between the xp-360 and xp-400.

I'm guessing the 361 is probably an angle valve? They used the same picture under all the engines, so that doesn't help...

xp-320

Hi all, the simple explanation for the XP-361 is it's the easy way to differentiate the XP-360 180 hp parallel valve engine from the 200 hp angle valve engine as one of you so deftly noted! Web site will be updated shortly as well! Both engines are actually 361 CI.

Knick Curtis
Superior

Build-It-Yourself option?

Just curious to know if they also plan to offer Engine Build School for the -320 as they do for the -360.
I'd love to build my own engine, even if currently all of this is a dream.

Daniel Mouly
LFCD
RV-9A (Reading Preview Plans, and dreaming)

<Oops>Sorry for the stupid question, I just found the answer (a YES) reading another thread called XP-360
</Oops>

Last edited:
I want to be able to order a kit-engine and just have the parts show up at my door... I don't need assembly school :)

Stephen, call A.E.R.O. -- they'll sell you an ECI 360 kit.. at a very reasonable price (better than seen on this forum)... no accessories, of course.

Stephen, call A.E.R.O. -- they'll sell you an ECI 360 kit.. at a very reasonable price (better than seen on this forum)... no accessories, of course.
It is a wise person indeed who will take care consider more than price in these things. There is a lot of time at 12,000' above the Bitterroot Wilderness to think about the quality of one's powerplant vs. the price paid, as I did recently :)

I think Superior makes a better kit for a handful of reasons that may or may not be of interest to you. They've made some key improvements to the Lycoming design that you won't get from ECI. The beefed up block is worth the additional cost alone (to me at least), after seeing my friend's Mooney with a cracked block on his angle valve IO-360.

Superior appears to have done their homework on the research and engineering. By engineering out the few failure points that were known on the Lycoming design, they're added value that's worth money to me. ECI was slow to own up to manufacturing defects in the cylinders of a friend's P-210 that later became an AD, and so I question their integrity as well. Your mileage may vary, of course. When the time comes, I anticipate that a Superior will be going in my -7A.

Last edited:
Superior 360 kit

Stephen,

According to Superior's website, they still sell the SL-360, which is the XP-360 as a box of parts, assemble it yourself.

Sweet! I can never seem to find info on kit-engines. Even ECi's website is vague about how to get one...