andyrv

Well Known Member
I received my new XP-IO360 last week. It has a flexible line from the front right of the engine to the prop governor location instead of a stainless pre-bent line. Any thoughts/experience with this setup?

Andy

Well.....

That would depend on the Specs and quality of the line.

It also depends on if the fittings at both ends are steel or stainless steel.

There was an AD some while ago that had the aluminum fittings from the governor to the front of the engine required to be changed if they were aluminum, to steel.

Its an experimental engine and not even certified itself, but its pretty much cloned with some improvements, but it would be wise not to repeat the errors of other along with the good things.

Prop Governor line

Andy,
Aero Sport built my engine and also supplied a flexible hose instead of the traditional solid line. I ran it over the top of the cylinders, 320 hours and no problems.

Gary
N715AB

propoillinehy1.jpg

propoilline1ec5.jpg

coolereb0.jpg

GaryK said:
Andy,
Aero Sport built my engine and also supplied a flexible hose instead of the traditional solid line. I ran it over the top of the cylinders, 320 hours and no problems.

Gary
N715AB

I could see that nice and beefy steel fitting too! Good Job guys!
:)

Lycoming says....

This hose is covered in Lycoming Service Instruction SI 1435.

It is the same SI that covers conversion from FP to CS operation. For an O-360, the SI calls for a 3/8 hose 36 inches long with straight ends.

It calls for a Teflon hose with firesleeving to TSO-C53A - Type D.

The SI has some specific mounting instructions... it might be good for you to get a copy.....

Added...

An AeroQuip data sheet is here for the correct hose with an integral firesleeve... hope the link works... :)

Aeroquip link

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
ECI provides the rigid line

with their kit, which to me is the more desirable solution. The rigid line is inherintly less prone to failure or aging issues than the flexible line. JMO.

AD...

Walt said:
with their kit, which to me is the more desirable solution. The rigid line is inherintly less prone to failure or aging issues than the flexible line. JMO.
Providing the AD referred to above (post #2) has been complied with.... :)

Steel nuts, not aluminum, on the rigid line.... something to look for if you are getting older parts....

AD 90-04-06

Of course, new ECI parts should be OK... :)

gil in Tucson

High Pressure Prop Oil Line

Superior has those lines made by Varga Enterprises (800-966-6936). Mine was so long that it was ugly, so I had Varga make me a shorter one. They are built to withstand much more than the 800 psi they should ever see. They have an integral firesleeve.

Hans

It's ok by the AD, but I fail to see why anyone would want that over the stainless line. Replacement every 5 years vs. life the the engine and beyond.

Not 5 years...

osxuser said:
It's ok by the AD, but I fail to see why anyone would want that over the stainless line. Replacement every 5 years vs. life the the engine and beyond.

Actually Lycoming says replacement at overhaul is mandatory - no other time requirements... it is a Teflon line.

Taking Lycoming's TBO recommendations that makes it at least a 12 year life....

gil A