Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
Does anyone know when Suprior are going to announce an XP-320? I had thought it would be out by now and am wondering what the delay is?

Thanks,

If you don't want to wait, Bart Lalonde at AeroSport will build you one.

As I recall, it's a complete Superior engine except for a Lycoming crank. I expect that Superior is developing their own crank, and that's been the holdup for the XP-320.

My engine is a Superior roller-lifter crankcase, Lycoming crank and ECI cylinders, courtesy of Bart.

Vern Little

Chad / Vern - thanks. No I will carry on waiting. I dont want a Lycoming crank. It seems most likey that the crank would be recalled if it were a Lyco. They seem to have got lazxy the last few years.

Thanks

Take a look at this:

http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/EngineProp/engineprop.htm

XP-360 case but made into a 320.

He did use the Lycoming crank but I thought that ECI made a PMA crank for the O-320.

I know there are other 320 cranks out there. I remember looking around and found a new one for US $3,500 several years ago. I have an O-320 with 5,000+ total hours. I have 1,868.4 on the Hobbs since I rebuilt to new specs.

Gary

From Superior on 5/15:

"Thank you for your interest in our XP program. The O-320 just finished test cell run 2 weeks ago without any issues and should be available in June sometime. We are awaiting on some paperwork from the FAA due to the fact that the parts that make up this engine are FAA approved parts. Please stay in touch with me and or our website for further details."

XP-360

Last week, I ordered the O-360 kit (we build it) from Superior for $19,100. They offered the O-320 kit for the same price. Solid or hollow crankshaft, same price.

Mine will be low compression so I can run car gas in our RV9A. Ed from Sensenich suggested an 83" prop for our Tucson to Long Beach runs.

Time will tell but according to others, this combo ought to do fine for me and the skinny girl I'm married to.

Steve Sampson said:
Chad / Vern - thanks. No I will carry on waiting. I dont want a Lycoming crank. It seems most likey that the crank would be recalled if it were a Lyco. They seem to have got lazxy the last few years.

Thanks

I talked to Bart Lalonde about this... as I recall, he said that there has never been an issue with the O-320 cranks from Lycoming. Proven history is very important. You should give Bart a call.

On another topic, it seems that I am getting more than rated horsepower from my O-320. I attribute this to the Superior crankcase and induction system (and maybe the roller lifters).

Specifically, I am seeing 22" of MAP at 8000' PA, which is about 0.8" more than the Lycoming spec, and right on what Superior shows on their O-360 charts (they don't have an O-320 chart yet, but it should be at least as good). That gives about a 4% boost over Lyc rated horsepower.

I did perform a 2000' speed run against a normal (non-Superior) O-320 equipped RV-6A. I was slightly faster. Since my RV-9A is a bigger aicraft (wings, tail), and has longer gear legs, I should have been slower. Weights were within 50 lbs. I'd like to take credit for building a slipperier airframe, but the HP difference was probably the reason.

Hence, this is a plug for the Superior crankcase/sump and roller lifters. I have ECI cylinders, Lyc crank, so it's a 'Frankenfellner' (sorry Jan).

Vern Little

XP-320

I have a friend who has a MATTITUCK "KIT" 0-320 in his RV-4. Been flying for nearly two years.

Wally Hunt
Rockford, IL

Stuff happens

Steve Sampson said:
Thanks
Steve I guess I understand what you mean, but its not lazzyness. If anyone still has a concern call Lycoming customer Service Mon-Fri or email them and they can explain. I don't want to get into it. They are not proud but stuff happens. It was a massive process mess up by the suppler, but that's been worked out and cranks manufactured per specs are fine. You can bet current cranks are more than 100% top quality and highly scrutinized. Not trying to talk anyone into anything; just lets be clear that there where problems and they are known and fixed.