First post!!!!

Joe, welcome to VAF, be patient, I suspect there will be quite a few responses to your question.

You might try to search the subject----seems that it has come up before.

Enjoy the ride!!

Thanks Mike! I'm still trying to figure out how to make my way through all of this great info, but I'm gettin it. Joe Mira

If you can put an IO-540 in an -8, I see no reason why the -400 wouldn't work.

You might want to talk someone who has flown an -8 with all the different engine choices first. It is my understanding there is a BIG difference in how the -8 handles with the different engines AKA weight.

Thanks Bill. I know the XP-400 weighs about 20 lbs. heavier than the 360, so that's gotta be extra weight to compensate for somewhere else. Joe Mira

up to spec?

Last I heard, Superior was still unable to get the full HP out of the 400. Has that changed?

Thanks Bill. I know the XP-400 weighs about 20 lbs. heavier than the 360, so that's gotta be extra weight to compensate for somewhere else. Joe Mira

Which 360? Angle or parallel valve? What horsepower are you expecting to get from it?

IO-400

Joe:

The XP-400 engine is still in development/pre-launch from Superior. Three engines have been produced so far that I'm aware of. 2 for testing/design and a 3rd engine that went into Scotty Germain's Lancair that he used at Reno in 2006.

No word on when it will be actively going to market. The engine is closer to an IO-390 than an IO-540, and from what I've been told is Superior's alternative to an angle head 360 engine.

I suspect that the time to market on the engine has been delayed due to work prioritization in engineering at Superior, although this is just speculation (and you know what that's worth!)

To rgbewly, thanks for the info. On their website, Superior is offering the XP-400 engine on their order forms. I don't know where they're at with their marketing. I have since checked with Van's, and they don't recommend the IO-400, 220 HP engine for the RV-8. I believe it's because 220 HP may be too much for that plane. Joe Mira

IO390

I am planning to put a 390 in my RV8. It is a proven engine producing about 210 hp. You can look it up on the website for Barrett Precision Engines (a VansAirForce advertiser-look to your left on this page). I believe Teledyne Mattituck also produces a version.