andyrv

Well Known Member
I am now at 115 hours on a new Superior IO-360 with the roller cam. I had a lifter issue during the first flight last fall. I only got 45 minutes of break in time before the issue and had to land. Superior totally disassembled the engine as the roller lifters can only be removed by splitting the case, changed the lifter, and ran the engine on their test stand at their facility (lucky I just live down the road). I asked about the cylinders since it took a few hours of run time to diagnose the lifter and the engine was not yet broken in during this run time but Superior thought it would be fine.

Over the last 35 hours I have used a quart of oil every 7.2 hours which seems high to me for a new engine. I am running between 5 and 6 quarts in the engine.

Any thoughts? What kind of oil usage are others finding on the Superior engines?

Thanks,
Andy
McKinney, TX

For me it's somewhere around 20 hours for one quart of oil lost. I also start with 6 quarts.

For what it's worth, I have flat tappets.

Andy,

I currently have 75 hours on my IO-360. Put in multiweight at 50 hours (7 quarts total) and added another quart at 70 hours. I wasn't quite a quart low at that time, so I figure I'm using about a quart every 25 hours.

greg

At oil change, I replace with 6 qts.
I add 1 qt at about 5 1/2. Usually, I need to add a qt about every 12-15 hours. I'm running the IO-360 with forward induction. No roller lifters.

Any acro?

Hi.

I've basically the same engine and I'm using a quart every 10 hrs or so, depending on how much acro I do.

I keep the oil level beetween 5 and 6 qrts.

I don't have the negative G oilsystem so I'm not doing any negative, just unloading for Cuban-8's etc.

If you're doing acro, have you tried to fly for example 10 hrs without doing any acro? (yeah; I know.... boooring... hehe...)

About 12-15 hours before adding 1/2 quart. I consider full to be 7, not 8 quarts. Experience over the years is that anything over 7 gets blown out rather quickly.

Last edited:
Hi Andy

I have a Superior IO 360 Built by Mattituck with 350 hrs. I start out with 7 qts 15/50 and keep 6 in, change oil 50 hrs. I get 10hrs on a qt. I would change oil and run straight 100 for the next 50 hrs. Run it hard 25 square on & off don't baby it.

Bob Garrabrant
Nantucket Ma.
RV8 N488BF

oil useage

In my humble opinion, I think oil useage is a good thing. It means the top of your cylinder is most likely getting good lubrication. If I had a lycoming that got 20+ hrs per quart, I would be a little concerned. To me 10 to 12 hrs per quart makes me really happy. Presently on a 500 hr engine I get 6-7 qts, that is stable, and I'm still happy.

Steve Barnes the Builders Coach

don't worry

A quart in 7 is not unheard of and normal. a quart in 5 is not something I would be too concerned with either on a higher time engine. Steve hit it though with a quart at 20 hours? I'd rather the engine be in the 7-12 hour a quart range.

JMO.

Allen

Lycoming says...

A quart in 7 is not unheard of and normal. a quart in 5 is not something I would be too concerned with either on a higher time engine. Steve hit it though with a quart at 20 hours? I'd rather the engine be in the 7-12 hour a quart range.

JMO.

Allen

...that the max. oil consumption is (.006 x BHP x 4) / 7.4 = Qt./Hr.

For a 180 HP O-360, that works out to .58 qts./hr.

...or, in our pilot's units = 1.71 hrs/qt.

You are well above that number....:)

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1427B.pdf