rtl_flyer

Has anybody fitted an IO-360 yet? I have a few(!!) big problems!!!

I have the "standard" updraft induction. This is a precision part.

First problem is the Vans FWF kit expects the mixture to come
through the firewall next to the prop control. This is not the case
and should come through the firewall near the throttle. Easily fixed, but....

The bracket supplied in the FWF kit will not fit this injection servo as
the the throttle and the mixture are on opposite sides. The bracket
appears to expect the controls on one side. So I now need to make up
a bracket - Has enybody already made one, have any plans?

More problems with the mixture control. The airbox supplied in the
FWF kit will not fit as the mixture control hangs below the Injection Servo thus the plate for the air box cannot be fitted. If you have this induction,
what airbox have you used??

If you have this engine what induction are you using??
Induction is: Precision Fuel Injection Servo EX-5VA1 (part 3015002-1)

Slightly frustrated this evening as I "was" progressing well!
Comments most welcome

You need a p/n VA-182-PC throttle and mixture brace for the fuel injection, vertical sump engine and if you put a 1/2-5/8 inch spacer between the air box and the servo, all will work out with the mixture control and the positioning of the air box in the cowl.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Mahlon,

Why is the spacer needed? Is it just for the Superior or does it apply to the ECI as well? I bolted up my servo today and think that the spacer is not needed, it will actually make my mixture cable positioning go from good to worse.

Could the spacer be added at the bottom of the fuel servo??

Thanks much,
Scott Will

Putting the spacer, on the bottom between the air box and the servo will make the air box fit as if it were installed on the carb it was designed for. The spacer makes up the difference in height of the servo to the carb. The servo is shorter then the carb so putting the spacer on the bottom of it makes the servo the same height as the carb and thus makes the air box fit the nacelle as if it were on the carb it was intended for. You may not need the spacer it would just make the air box be a bit higher in the nacelle without it.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

I have posted the installation details - fitting a Superior IO-360 on my website. Link below.
If you specify the 'correct' fuel servo you DON'T need to modify the air box. There is a fuel sevo for the Vans RV range from Precision. Full details on my site. Other items like alt belt length also.

Regards, Tim.

***Hope it helps other builders, but pls remember it's just what I have done... you responibility to ensure the information is correct ... blah blah!

mine's OK

Interesting... mine came with the correct servo.

img_0714.jpg

HI Scot,

thanks a lot, your site helps a lot, I will be doing the same in about a year or two so please do not delete until then!!

Thanks
Rudi

bend the bracket?

Tim,

Did you have to bend your throttle/mixture bracket? I have a VA-182 but when I was fiddling with my mixture setup last night, I just could not get the bracket to work out. The angles are all off - but it might work if my lever pointed down.

On your site (pic below) it looks like you put an extra bend in the bracket?
P1300160_JPG.jpg

Anyone else have to do the same or have similar issues?

Thanks,
Scott