Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I am considering an IO-0360 from Superior. I am looking for any feedback on Superior Engines and Superior the company. If you have had experience (good or bad) please include the following:

1. Type (0-360, I0-360 etc)
2. Hours on the engine.
3. Who built the engine (Superior, Aerosport, etc)
4. Would you buy it again?
5. General comments.

Any input would be appreciated.

Paul

superior

others will build an engine with superior parts and charge as much or more as superior. why not just let them do it. my reason was lyc and eci were having some issues and have had them in the past. so i felt safer with superior. i do feel that any of them superior eci and lyc are all fairly equal and will make a excellent powerplant. i was splitting hairs at the time. keep in mind alot of the lycs come standard with a roller cam now. which can add a great deal of life to your engine esp if you may not fly for long periods of time.if iwas going lyc BPE would have been the one for me. i just decided against lyc parts from a history stand point.

OSH prices

Superior is offering $500 off the list price and FREE shipping until the 15th of August. Roller tappets are a $300 option (duh). Hollow cranks for the CS-props-later-builders (me) are a $200 option. They also have the engine build classes for $1300 (plus travel and room).
Call ASAP and mention the Oshkosh deal.

Steve

Superior Engine Oshkosh deal

As mentioned Superior has an Oshkosh deal going on unit Aug 18th. Superior pricing is very attractive and worth considering, but I am still trying to get some feedback on experience with Superior (the company) and any history with their engines.

I have until next week to make my decision.

Paul

Superior engines

Pmerems said:
As mentioned Superior has an Oshkosh deal going on unit Aug 18th. Superior pricing is very attractive and worth considering, but I am still trying to get some feedback on experience with Superior (the company) and any history with their engines.

I have until next week to make my decision.

Paul

Paul: I baught a new Superior 3 years ago. I now have 500 Hrs on it. I have not heard any negative coments about Superior. O-360 with hartzel 7A. I know buying a new engine at the price they cost is a big decision, Good Luck

Pmerems said:
I am considering an IO-0360 from Superior. I am looking for any feedback on Superior Engines and Superior the company. If you have had experience (good or bad) please include the following:

1. Type (0-360, I0-360 etc)
2. Hours on the engine.
3. Who built the engine (Superior, Aerosport, etc)
4. Would you buy it again?
5. General comments.

Any input would be appreciated.

Paul
IO-360
Superior
Yes
Excellent customer service, excellent product. Buy it.

We have a lycoming O360 A1A in our Cardinal that was just overhaulled with millenium cylinders, SAP cam and oil pump, as well as any other wear items that needed to be replaced. So far 7-8 hours on it and no complaints. It did run REALLY hot CHT's for the first 5 hours in the break in.

I bought a Superior O-360 at OSH three years ago and installed it in my RV-8. Finally got it flying last September. With about 60 hours on it, I have had one problem, and I think it was unique. The crankshaft seal came out while the engine was running. The only thing I noticed waa a little oil on the windscreen. I found the seal completely out and riding behind the flange. I called Superior and explained what I had found. They offered a couple of ideas on why it came out and offered to pay to have it replaced. I told them I would be happy to replace it myself if they wouldn't mind sending me a new seal. They sent three! I replaced the seal and so far no more problem with the engine. By the way, the engine only had a one year warrenty and that was up almost two years before the crankshaft seal problem.

I've used Superior parts for years and have nothing but good things to say about them. I also have a O-320 on another airplane that I overhauled and used Superior cylinders to replace the Lycoming ones at overhaul. So far, no problem with the cylinders or anything else inside the engine. Almost everything that was replaced was with Superior parts. For my money, they are as good as or better than Lycoming parts.

Bottom line, I'd buy another one. Tom Schad

Steve said:
Superior is offering $500 off the list price and FREE shipping until the 15th of August. Roller tappets are a $300 option (duh). Hollow cranks for the CS-props-later-builders (me) are a $200 option. They also have the engine build classes for $1300 (plus travel and room).
Call ASAP and mention the Oshkosh deal.

Steve

I wanted to add a few details about the Oshkosh Special that we are offering through this Friday on our XP-320, XP-360, and XP-400 engines for anyone currently considering a Superior engine.
Superior is offering $500.00 off the price of any engine plus offering free delivery anywhere in the continental United States. (Partial freight costs will be covered for everyone outside the lower 48 states)
Engine orders must be placed by this Friday (8/18/06).
Required deposit is $1000.00
Engine configurations and pricing can be found on Superior's web site at:
http://superiorairparts.com/xp360EnginePrice.asp

The special stipulates that customers must take delivery of the engine by December 31, 2006 or use Superior's Build School option (which is an additional $1000) for scheduling their engine.

For further product information, please visit us at:
http://superiorairparts.com/xp360.asp

Or call us at 1 (800) 277-5168

Thank You

xp360Engine.jpg

Superior Engines

Paul,

I did the factory tour about 6 months ago and I am sold on the staff and the facilities. Bill Peterson and Evan Yearsly are 2 of the best in the business. They are both very hands on and Evan is the head instructor at your build class if you are going that way. Please give me an email back if you want to come to Dallas and go see the facilities.
I would put Superior and their engines right up there with your company.

Thanks,

Bruce Pauley
RV 7A 177WD (Res)
XP IO-360 in a couple years
Empannage Kit
Kitlog

I want a Superior XP 540

I too have heard excellent remarks about their xp360 and soon the xp 400, but when will I have the oppurtunity to buy a superior xp 540, a truly modern engine is what I want for my rv -10, not a lycoming based on old technology.

Perhaps I will find one under the Christmas tree in a couple of years, if they ever make it. There are just not enough choices for us RV 10 builders!

Give me a choice Superior :)

Last edited:
Bruce,

My name is John Burgin. I built an XP360 fuel injected engine in January of 07'. I installed it on my RV7A that awaits inspection for my airworthiness certificate. As you may be aware, with the company's bankruptcy, information is difficult to come by. I've run my engine several times, but I need some performance data(engine temps/manifold pressures/rpm operating range, etc.) for calibrating my Advanced Flight System AF3500 EFIS. John

Did it come with a manual?

If somehow your engine did not come with a big looseleaf binder then PM me your phone number and I'll call you when I'm at the hangar and look the stuff up for you. I had a similar issue with the GRT EIS 4000 but the documentation was sufficient.

Mahlon

For those of us with superior engines, do you know of any part that are unique to superior? Without breaking the bank, are there any parts worth buying profylacticaly?

Outside of my entire engine being rare and unique...

Roller lifters are unique. But, I think there are 2 different types in service.

The first type, (like mine) are round and have a set screw to keep them in the proper location. Meaning the cases have a round hole. The Lycoming roller lifter is square. The company that built these lifters for Superior has a bunch on the shelf that they would not sell to Superior. (Something like 800 of them) They wouldn't sell them unless Superior signed an agreement that didn't leave them liable for any failures, ever. Well, in the aviation business, that wasn?t going to work. So Superior said forget it, and went somewhere else. But, not after 8 were installed in my engine, and I think a few others. I don?t know if this other roller lifter is any different mechanically then mine.

If other early roller lifter guys wanted to go in on buying up these old lifters, I would be up for it. I?ll sign whatever they want, I have a prototype anyway.