rv72004

Well Known Member
I have no plans of selling my plane, but just out of interest, do you guys think having a superior engine will be bad for a RV's resale?

No, I do not think so. Should repairs or maintenance be required, ECI or Lycoming parts will fit(exception roller cam and lifters). However if you were to sell an airplane with an engine still under warranty it might make a small difference.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

I'm not worried at all. There are plenty of other companies offering compatible parts. Superior had a great reputation for their engines.

Just the improved oiling mods they did on the cases, is enough in my opinion to make it more valuable than an equivalent Lycoming case.

All other things equal or better, with the exception of the unique design of the roller tappets. But those wouldn't be hard to reproduce by a competent machine shop.

I was going to ask the same question. What if it is the only 400?

Tom,
Just out of curiosity, I was at Barrett in Tulsa when they were getting ready to run the 400 on their dyno. Are the results available for public consumption and are you satisfied with what they found?

XP-400

Dave:

If I'm not mistaken, Tom has the XP-400 with high compression pistons that Scotty Germain flew at Reno a few years ago. That is not the 400 we were testing. We were testing the #3 engine that was their test bed engine that went through various piston changes, sump changes, etc. etc. We put about 50 hours on the engine here in our shop total.

Correct

Mine has 10:1. From the little bit of information I got, they were shooting for 8.7:1 in the production motor. That would put it between 215-220 hp. Then advertising 215 would be a safe bet. I do know that the 400 you saw ended up on an RV of some kind, but was mid install when the bankruptcy happened. Don't have any more info on that.