Affected cylinders

Called AeroSport to see if mine were affected. Bart said all of the affected cylinders were manufactured in 2005. Whew... :D Dodged this one.

CFI1513840 said:

Be cautious, Superior are having web/computer difficulties and one misplaced hyphen or number will show your cylinders as being OK when they are actually recalled. Check with your engine shop or supplier. Ask how I know!!

Also Superior have 1-800 phone numbers that I did not see on their web site, one they gave me was 1-800-256-9057

Unfortunately the cylinders on my new RV7A have been affected. My engine was built in Aug. of 2005. A neighbour of mine who has not flown yet also has bad cylinders. So far Superior and Aero Sport Power have been very cooperative. Aero Sport will assemble the cylinders and paint them to match our engines. Aside from having to remove a lot of stuff from the engine, the change-out should not be to difficult since the pistons will already be in the cylinders. We will have to un-bolt the bad ones and insert the wrist pin in the partially protruding piston of the new ones and bolt the assembly down. It will probably take a day to do this but beats having to remove the engine from the plane and send it back to Aero Sport.

Stay tuned!

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988

Martin Sutter said:
Aside from having to remove a lot of stuff from the engine, the change-out should not be to difficult since the pistons will already be in the cylinders. We will have to un-bolt the bad ones and insert the wrist pin in the partially protruding piston of the new ones and bolt the assembly down. It will probably take a day to do this but beats having to remove the engine from the plane and send it back to Aero Sport.

I have a 1996 Lycoming 0360, in which an AD was issued for possible bad wristpins. I had two A&P's pull all four cylinders, and it only took a couple of hours. At least I didn't have the baffeling on at the time! And, the wrist pins were the correct ones.