henriquerv9

Hi all,

I would like to know from guys who bought engine from superior how was the experience dealing with them... Engine quality, assitance, delivery time, delays etc.

Any inputs will be very appreciated

Regards

Henrique castro

The guys at Superior are really great. I went down to Dallas Texas to build my engine at there beautiful build facility, they couldn't be nicer or more professional. I found the build process to be a wonderful experience and now can say that I built the engine and the airplane.

Hope this information helps,

Adam
Finish RV-8 ;)

I have an XP IO360 (Silver Hawk EX injection, vertically inducted, metal sump).

I took the route of just having them build it for me and send it to me. It's really a beautiful engine. Superior's customer support is fantastic. When I would have a question I would just call up and ask 'em...they're very responsive and they always seem like they're eager to help (you would think good customer service would be a given for a 22k+ purchase...but it isn't always!).

I've noticed that some very popular shops assemble their engines using hardware store bolts (maybe not in all areas, but I've seen one such engine that uses hardware store bolts to tie the case halves together). I'm not saying this is a bad thing -- I don't know. But it shows me that at least they don't skimp on things like this.

Also, with the Superior engine you're basically getting a certified engine -- even though it's not certified. Superior has obtained certification for their vantage engine, which is basically an XP IO360. The Vantage engine is identical to mine except the fuel injection system. The Vantage engine is assembled by the same guys that built mine. Again...not that it means anything with regard to reliability or build quality.

Here are some pictures of the engine for you:

2006-06-16.1578.jpeg
2006-06-17.1585.jpeg

2006-06-16.1580.jpeg

I have the XP-360 Plus180 HP with FI. I haven't run it yet but I can say that Superior in general and Bill Peterson in particular are a very superior company/person with which to do business. As I told Bill "you treat me like I'm your only customer and I know that's not the case". I also thank my self every few weeks that I didn't buy a Lycoming when I read about their latest issues.It also doesn't hurt that I don't think I spent any more than if I had bought a Lyc from Van. Every time I mention my engine choice to others who already have one they tell me how happy I will be with it. I plan to find out in a month or two.

After building an engine at Superior, do they run it on a test stand before you take it home? After you hang it, will it require any different break in procedure than a new Lycoming would?

I have the XP-IO-360 with horizontal induction.
Great company to deal with. Great engine and great support.
I've talked with Bill Peterson many times and he was always available for my phone calls. At Sun-n-Fun, they treated me like part of the family.

A Superior gottcha

:mad: Although I like the superior engine, and would buy one again, I do have one gripe with them. I purchased a SL-360 kit. I assumed that the kit would have everything necessary to assemble a working engine, except the accessories.

It turns out that a few necessary parts were not included. Those parts include the shafts upon which the accessory gears are mounted, the engine won't run without it. The A&P who assembled the engine for me was perplexed, and contacted Superior to ask about it. He was told that the parts were not included, notwithstanding the fact that the engine cannot be fully assembled without them.

That gottcha cost me a couple of hundred dollars and negatively affected my opinion of Superior. I would not have expected that kind of business conduct from a company with an otherwise good reputation and quality product.

I still think they have a good engine.

Last edited: