airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
For those guys running the Superior forward-facing cold induction sump on a 360, did you use the standard-length Vans cables for throttle and mixture, or is a different length needed?

Different lengths are needed, I ended up with a throttle quadrant and my cables are 48" each, the mixture side could be a bit shorter however. A friend of mine with a vertical induction also ran into a problem with short cables and his are mounted below the panel. I would hold off on vans cables and measure them to get the right length.

-david

Different lengths are needed, I ended up with a throttle quadrant and my cables are 48" each, the mixture side could be a bit shorter however. A friend of mine with a vertical induction also ran into a problem with short cables and his are mounted below the panel. I would hold off on vans cables and measure them to get the right length.

-david

That's the issue I'm up against - I don't how to accurately measure for the cable length without knowing the precise routing, and the routing is somewhat subject to change with different lengths. I'm building a 9A with an IO360 and Superior cold sump with Bendix injection.

It depends on the exhaust system too, I have vettermans 2 crosovers and the throttle need a special lever and special route between the exhaust and the sump. so it depends on your configuration y use 52 for teh throttle, 48 for mixture.

standard vans

on my rv-7 i used the standard vans cables. i had to make up a throttle bracket and used the vans mixture bell-crank.

cheers

Peter

Also, this setup requires custom made brackets to hold the Throttle Cable on, Not hard to do theres lots of examples on the board i complied some here (LINK). I found the best way to measure cables was to use some ROMEX for house wiring since its nice and stiff and lay out where you want it to go and then take your measurement off it, or if you have cables currently put them in place from the panel and measure the difference, you need to have the brackets made first however.

Hope this helps.

Also, this setup requires custom made brackets to hold the Throttle Cable on, Not hard to do theres lots of examples on the board i complied some here (LINK). I found the best way to measure cables was to use some ROMEX for house wiring since its nice and stiff and lay out where you want it to go and then take your measurement off it, or if you have cables currently put them in place from the panel and measure the difference, you need to have the brackets made first however.

Hope this helps.

Thanks David - that's actually quite helpful with the pictures link!

Vans FF Kit ~2006 suggested for Lycoming IO-360 60" Throttle and Mixture cables. We / others determined / used 60" for Throttle, and 52" for Mixture, for XP-IO-360 with Cold Sump.

Not sure of relevance to RV-9(A), given different starting points for cables, but maybe of use?

Cables

Left over plastic pitot / static tube works great for figuring out the length of control cables .
Tom

Thanks guys - I'll use the Bowden cable I have coming to me for the hot air valve to measure out the length of the mixture and throttle cables and order appropriately.