db8

Well Known Member
I purchased a Superior Cold Air Composite Sump for an engine I am building a while back. Probably won't be ready to fly it for a year or more, but I'm assembling the engine and was wondering if I should install it on the IO-360 and use it for a while when I do start to fly, or should I just be patient (like I have been) and wait till the new one comes? How long does one normally have to take advantage of a recall (ie could I just fly with the old one and two years later decide to switch?) Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Dave RV-8 fuse

Don't put the old one on... It's been linked to engine failures. Why assemble something you never will want to fly with?

I am a big fan of Superior Air Parts and frequently pick their product over others. The cold air sump will allow your engine to breath the best it can. According to Lycoming, you can expect 1% increase in HP for every 10 degrees F below standard.

At the present time (7 April 2007), I would NOT use the Superior "Ryton" sump as there have been too many problems IMHO. If it were me, I would WAIT till right before I fly to see if they have a replacement ready. If they do not have a replacement ready, I would purchase an ECI, Lycoming, or one of the other aftermarket forward facing sumps.

Just my humble opinion.

db8 said:
I purchased a Superior Cold Air Composite Sump for an engine I am building a while back. Probably won't be ready to fly it for a year or more, but I'm assembling the engine and was wondering if I should install it on the IO-360 and use it for a while when I do start to fly, or should I just be patient (like I have been) and wait till the new one comes? How long does one normally have to take advantage of a recall (ie could I just fly with the old one and two years later decide to switch?) Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Dave RV-8 fuse

I'm flying with Superior's cold air sump. I've had no problems.
If you're not going to fly for about a year, you'd be better off waiting until they have the new sump available. Superior's target date is September. They've missed a few target dates, but I suspect this one will hold as they put it out there far enough to not have to reschedule it again.
We'll know more after talking with them at Sun-n-Fun in a few weeks.

I'm...

Hi.

I'm installing a Superior IO-360 with a Ryton sump.
I'm NOT planning to fly with it, so I'll install the new alu-sump replacement when it's available.

I've decided to go ahead with the installation now, so I can do all the monting in sequence. (exhaust, cables, wiring etc etc.) I'm not torque'ing anything that will be taken off later (exhaust for example)

Then when the new sump comes out, I can "just" dismount everything on the plasticsump and replace it.
According to Superior, the new sump will be exactly the same as the plastic one, so all connections etc will fit (hopefully).

I'm glad I went this route, because I've already run into some problems which takes a while to solve (throttle bracket for example)
Also, it takes a while to figure out where and how all the stuff are going, and this task is easier when I can follow Vans FF sequence.
Then I can continue installing the engine while waiting for the new sump.

Just my 2 cents from Norway...

Regards Alf Olav Frog
Airborne summer 2008??

Thanks all

Excellent ideas from all. I think Alf has a great idea for the stage for where I am. I won't permanently mount it since the new one has the same dimensions. That way I can proceed and run all the lines. Take care. Dave

I just started flying mine in a -6a with mags. I understand not a good idea with electronic ignition and what is called "wasted spark", meaning you could get ignition during valve overlap period at top of exhaust stroke igniting incoming mixture blowing the sump asunder. Superior assures us it has never happened it flight.

I have had no problems. So far. Am also very impressed with the power of this XP-IO360. Of course, it is usually light during Phase One.

Jerry Cochran
18XP RV-6a

superior sump

Ditto, I was told by superior that it was not such a big problem with dual mags and that it was more of an electronic ignition problem. If I don't have the new sump by the time I'm ready to fly I plan on using the old one. I hope to be flying by mid to late summer. (north of the equator)

Everyone is free to do what they will. I feel very strongly that the Ryton sump isn't worth the chance. Do you really want to change an engine failure from oil starvation in phase 1 when you aren't that familer with the aircraft? I think it's a small price to pay to either wait or put a difference sump on.

SNIP
osxuser said:
Do you really want to change an engine failure from oil starvation in phase 1 when you aren't that familer with the aircraft? I think it's a small price to pay to either wait or put a difference sump on.
Stephen:

It is my understanding that NONE of the failures involved loss of oil. All the failures were CRACKS in the intake "plenum" allowing air to leak in and upsetting the air fuel mixture. Someone that had one break correct me if I am wrong.

The sumps have been breaking out of the bottom and that is the intake area, that area is not involved with any oil containment area hence the cold air induction. Superior is testing the new sump right now and looks to be on target for the Sept delivery date as long as flow rates and performance are what they are looking for.

RV6_flyer said:
SNIP
Stephen:

It is my understanding that NONE of the failures involved loss of oil. All the failures were CRACKS in the intake "plenum" allowing air to leak in and upsetting the air fuel mixture. Someone that had one break correct me if I am wrong.
I haven't heard of any specifically that involved oil tank itself cracking, but not worth the chance IMHO. As i'm sure I've already made obvious.

Gary,

Every case I've heard of has happened during startup with electronic ignitions. I believe they are safe to fly if: a)You have mags only, and b) No restarts while airborne. I guess this means you can't run out of fuel, but then it wouldn't start anyway, right? :)

If someone knows of a case this happened with mags, please tell us. I have been disappointed that Superior doesn't keep us up to date with progress reports, and in fact I wish they would publish a list of failures with circumstances. I guess that wouldn't be good PR tho, would it? They just haven't been as forthcoming and straightforward as they should be, IMO.

The engine is running great, however. I'll give them that.

Jerry Cochran

I saw the new design from Superior at their plant today, it looks really nice, much simpler and all metal. It sounded like the problem with the old ones was fuel pooling in the sump and then igniting and blowing a hole in it. I wasnt paying much attention to his explaination as I am getting vertical induction. One of the guys at the build school took some pictures of it so maybe he will post them.

- Matt

Superior Engine Sump

I talked with them a couple of days ago. All of the problems have been from not following their suggested engine start procedures. The mixture needs to be in cutoff and the boost pump off then feed in during the start sequence.

Jerry Cochran said:
Gary,

Every case I've heard of has happened during startup with electronic ignitions. I believe they are safe to fly if: a)You have mags only, and b) No restarts while airborne. I guess this means you can't run out of fuel, but then it wouldn't start anyway, right? :)

If someone knows of a case this happened with mags, please tell us. I have been disappointed that Superior doesn't keep us up to date with progress reports, and in fact I wish they would publish a list of failures with circumstances. I guess that wouldn't be good PR tho, would it? They just haven't been as forthcoming and straightforward as they should be, IMO.

The engine is running great, however. I'll give them that.

Jerry Cochran
FWIW, there was one instance on the socal list of a guy cracking one when running only mags. I'm not willing to fly with something that fragile.

What's the tangible benefit?

How much power is to be gained by using a cold sump? Or to put it another way, how much is the induction air heated on its way through a hot sump?

Thanks,
Martin

My Ryton sump did not break "out the bottom", but cracked all around the joint in between the oil sump and the air plenum area.

I believe if you'll search the older posts, you'll find at least two instances of Ryton sumps breaking using standard magnetos.

Regarding improper start procedures...that's oversimplifying the issue IMHO. All it takes is one backfire (for whatever reason) and you might not even hear it happen (I had no idea mine had cracked until I pulled the cowl for a normal inspection). Too fragile if it can't tolerate being operated by "normal" pilots. I'm sorry to see Superior is still trying to defend the design of the Ryton sump. After experiencing about...6 failures on our field alone, there's no way to say anything other than it was a good idea that didn't pan out.

I'd like to have their aluminum setup, but couldn't wait two years to get it.

I asked Superior and they told me that the new sump should be out next month. I believe that answer was in August.

Delivery in Oct... Allegedly

That's the latest story. I was offered one of their prototypes, but decided to wait. Meantime, bird has 55 hrs no issues. Getting her ready for paint next weeki. Maybe by the time the paint dries the sump will be here.

Not holding my breath however...

Jerry

How much power is to be gained by using a cold sump? Or to put it another way, how much is the induction air heated on its way through a hot sump?

Thanks,
Martin
I am not sure anyone knows for sure. Lycoming says in all the power charts that I have seen that for every 10 degree F temperature drop below standard, there is a 1% increase in horsepower. If we ask one of the engine builders, they may be able to tell us how much less pressure drop there is through the cold air induction system compared to the updraft sump used with the carb.

I saw the NEW Experimental ALUMINUM Cold Air Induction Superior sump at Oshkosh. Yes it will be heaver but it looks like it will work very well. I would be willing to install one on my airplane as a beta tester for them.

I don't buy the stories of great horsepower increases with a horiz induction sump because of cooler intake air. Sure, lowering the intake temperature increases power, that's basic thermodynamics. But how much does the temperature of the intake air rise going through a vert induction sump? Every intake stroke pulls in 90 cu in of air every 100 milliseconds (at 2400 rpm). If the intake manifold is 2" diameter (approx 3 sq in area), and I can't remember the exact number, then the air in a 30" long intake will change 10 times a second. That is, the intake air spends at most 1/10th of a second surrounded by warm oil. I think most inlets are less than 30" long, so the time available to warm up the intake air is much less. I have no idea how warm the intake air will get, with a 150 deg temp difference for 1/10 of a second I can't see much heat transfer taking place.

So, horizontal induction sumps are heavier by several pounds and make the throttle & mixture connections more difficult. Are they really any better?

Pete

Testing tells the story

From Mattituck's website under the frequently asked questions section.

"Our tests have shown the horsepower difference to be approximately 6.5 to 7 HP more with the horizontal forward facing cold air sump".

But compared to what? I have no doubt that test installations show a power increase with the horiz induction sump, but why is that? I don't buy the argument that it is because the induction air is cooler.

How is the vert induction sump set up? With an air scoop to get the ram air that the horiz injector gets, or just sticking down with no induction help? I don't know the answer. If Mahlon reads this perhaps he can describe the test cell set up?

Pete

Last edited:
Cold air comparison

But compared to what? I have no doubt that test installations show a power increase with the horiz induction sump, but why is that? I don't buy the argument that it is because the induction air is cooler.

How is the vert induction sump set up? With an air scoop to get the ram air that the horiz injector gets, or just sticking down with no induction help? I don't know the answer. If Mahlon reads this perhaps he can describe the test cell set up?

Pete

I'll mention this totally unscientific, subjective impression. I've been flying two RV-6a's for the past 6 months. 254HL has a Lyco 360/Hartzell, 540 hrs.
18XP is a Superior IO-360 cold air sump and Hartzell blended airfoil, 55 hrs. 18XP is very noticeably more powerful on takeoff, climb, cruise, whilst burning a little less fuel. Go figure. Could be any of many factors. FI is known to increase power, run smoother, less fuel. New Harzell prob contributes also.

Could be just coincidence re the cold air? I don't think so, because my son races cars in a class where cold air intakes are illegal. Why? They make more power, thas' why...

Just stuff to think about...

Jerry

I don't know what the 'reference' was, but our vertical induction engine being tested at Mattituck:

Web_Img_4656.jpg

Web_Img_4641.jpg

Regards,

Carl

Mags and blown sump

This week I managed to blow the bottom out of my ryton sump. I have two standard mags.
I had started and taxied to the fuel pumps max 2 mins. Then 15 mins later I gave it a little prime as it was a cold day and parked into wind. One backfire and the whole bottom of the sump fell out of the cowl. (in about a dozen bits).
New sump should be here next week. The UK dealer Jade air have been very helpful.

Peter

We fitted the "Ryton" sump for enigne installation prior it's test run. Took it back to Jade for the test run in August and had the new Sump fitted which we are now test flying with.

The sump is similar but not identical:
  • Sniffle Vale locations differ - in fact better on new one for exahust clearance on our RV-8
  • Air Intake tubes different path - required a re-route of the Hot Air pipe - in fact new longer pipe required :(
In short, do not rely on a straight one-for-one swap without some minor alterations under the hood... Oh - and ensure you get the shorter dipstick!!

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ test flying
UK

Thanks Andy for the heads up.

Jade did mention that they may have to reroute the heater scat hose and said they would bring extra with them.
I'm waititng till next week to get the lastest version of the sump as they said if I fit a inverted oil system (I have one ready but not installed, if the PFA approves the 7 for aero's) then the lastest version has a extra drain that I can use.

Peter

RV7 G-PBEC
Test flying

Pete
Pete,
Just saw this thread today...... So here goes:
When we tested the horse power change between the two types of sumps, for the first time, we used the same engine, at the same oil temps and cht temps, with the same ambient air temps, on the same day, a couple of hours difference in physical time apart. (the time it took to change out the sumps and warm the engine up to the same temps)
For both runs the engines were run with an inlet air screen and no other inlet air restriction. The same exhaust system was used for both configurations. The vertical sump used a forward facing collector and the horizontal one used a forward facing inlet tube.
We really tried to do it in a fashion that would produce real results with real differences. These are not engineering type cells with all the bells and whistles you would have in that R&D environment, but production cells. So we made extra efforts to keep any variables, we could, the same.
I didn't measure the difference in inlet air temp at the intake ports for comparative purposes, but there must be a difference to explain the power difference. The horizontal sump might have a little bit better flow then the vertical, but I don't have any way of knowing or proving that. All I can say is that the same engine, with a different sump configuration installed, under the same run conditions, produced that power difference. The power difference we reported was at CHT's around 400F and oil temp around 190F, I don't remember exactly. But as the engine got even hotter the power difference, between the two, increased in favor of the horizontal configuration engine.
As the engine got hotter and hotter, we saw slightly more power degradation with the vertical sump vs. the horizontal, at the same oil temps. Our conclusion there, was that the inlet air was getting hotter due to the higher oil temps in the vertical sump making the air warmer vs. not having as much of an effect on the air in the horizontal one. Maybe that wasn't the reason, but the power didn't degrade as fast with the horizontal sump, with increase in oil temp, as it did with the vertical one.
Anyway, that is how we tested it and came up with those numbers. The objective of the test was to find out if there was a difference, not to prove one way or the other for sales purposes or anything like that. We don't make any more money selling a forward facing sump engine then we do on a vertical one. The price difference in the two engines is really our parts cost difference for the two sump configurations. So there is really no reason for us to try and skew the results one way or the other, not that we would do that in the first place.
So that is how and why we did it. We did the test several years ago, but this is how it went, from my memory. Hope the information helps in your analysis.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

ECI cold air intake

8 months ago I changed over to the ECI cold air intake system. My previous system was a vertical induction warm sump with an elbow facing forward, and Bendix fuel injection. I mounted the Bendix to the ECI sump and plenum. The ECI parts are made of a Magnesium alloy. I also had to change my 4 into 1 exhaust to a Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust for clearance. Too bad I had to change two things, because there is no way to know for sure the effect of the cold air intake alone. It is widely held that the 4 into 1 makes more power, but I am not convinced.

Anyway, I gained 3 knots with the new setup. Working backwards with the cube law, that suggests I gained 9 horsepower.

With dual Lightspeeds Plasma IIIs, the plenum has not broken and fallen off yet.

John

Looks like I'll be eating a large slice of humble pie - thanks to Mahlon and John for providing the information. Anyone want to buy a vertical draft sump and a Sky Dynamics Injector Relocator kit?

Pete