David-aviator

Well Known Member
Anyone here flying with Superior's cam roller technology? If so, how are things going.

Decided to go with Superior but in the fence with regard to the rollers.

David,

You mean roller lifters? If so, I've been flying with them for 500 hours in my IO360 and no problems (with the lifters anyway). Aerosport was just into the engine for a different problem (prop strike) and they reported that the lifters looked fine. Not sure I can add much more.

Greg

Thanks for the response, guys, seems like most Superior engines are going out the door with the roller lifters.

In one sense they may be better than the Lycoming design in that if there is a problem, the Lycoming case has to be split to get at them. Not so with Superior.

They're ok if you don't plan on an overhaul. The roller lifters are $300 apiece and have to be replaced. x8 thats $2400 just in those particular parts at overhaul.

I have been toying with the idea of using standard automotive roller lifters with a custom cam grind and after talking to Lycon last week they have been doing this on experimental engines.

They're ok if you don't plan on an overhaul. The roller lifters are $300 apiece and have to be replaced. x8 thats $2400 just in those particular parts at overhaul.

I have been toying with the idea of using standard automotive roller lifters with a custom cam grind and after talking to Lycon last week they have been doing this on experimental engines.

Bob, I think that $300 price you heard was for Lycoming roller lifters. Superior hasn't published a retail price on that part but based on dealer price they should cost about half that.

I believe Lycoming's design is a bit better than Superior's. Either way I can buy a full set for a big block Chevy for less than what it costs to buy one Lycoming roller tappet.

I believe Lycoming's design is a bit better than Superior's. Either way I can buy a full set for a big block Chevy for less than what it costs to buy one Lycoming roller tappet.

Are the BB Chevy roller tappets the same size?

It appears so, but I was just using that for a price comparison. The BB chevy uses a dogbone so they're not the same. I believe its Ford that uses a flat to keep the roller aligned like the Lyc. But I haven't gotten a Lycoming roller tappet to measure it.

I don't know anything about the dimensions of the auto rollers, but if you want to put rollers in an aircraft crankcase you're going to have to modify the case to keep the rollers aligned.

Superior's literature indicates their rollers are based on automotive technology. I was told by a reliable source the replacement cost is about $110, probably dealer cost.

All that and more being said, I've decided to go with a Superior IO360 with the roller technology, cold air sump and AFP FM150 with the purge valve. The engine will be assembled and tested by the BPE in Tulsa.

Also decided to go with a Catto prop again, if I can get one. They seem to be busy.

I have both new and used Lycoming lifters in stock and they measure .8425

Jesse

Ok, thanks Jesse. Probably the most critical measurement is going to be the the slotted area so that its compatible with the existing oil passages. A larger diameter hole can be CNCed in the case such that the flat in the bottom that indexes the lifter can milled into the case. Obviously a different cam grind is in order, and Lycon already does that.

Could you measure the Lycoming roller lifter like it is in following drawing?

http://delphi.com/shared/pdf/ppd/pwrtrn/gas_vlvlift.pdf

lifters

I can forward some pics if you want but it looks like the Lycoming are quite a bit longer. They are 81.34mm in length. If you want some pics send me a e-mail. [email protected]. Superiors are quite a bit different I hear but I do not have any to compare.

Jesse

Thread drift question ?

I am building a new O320 / 150HP as we speak. I asked the engine builder about rollers and he said they were for more aggressive cam profiles and did not deliver any benefit for a well maintained Lycoming O3X0 cam.

So, what is the objective ( reason ) for pursuing these roller followers ?

So, what is the objective ( reason ) for pursuing these roller followers ?

The reason is higher rate of wear, which is due to scuffing on the cam from a sliding motion of the flat facet tappet vs. rolling motion on the newer lifters.

There is also, best as I can remember at least, an issue with oil additives (zinc I believe) being removed from oil that comes into play also.

And, coupled that with the typical long time interval between usages on most planes.......................which is why I use Cam Guard additive.