ccryan

Hey guys. Anyone know where to find this "Super Fill" I've been reading so much about? I'm looking on the internet and cant find a supplier. It's Sunday morning here in Utah so I doubt I'll find any today but it will give me a head start for Monday!

I'm about to start all the major priming and filling,(cowl,gear leg fairings, cheeks, etc.), and want to give this stuff a try.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Super Fill

Thanks. I actually looked on Aircraft Spruce and couldn't find anything! I guess I need to work on my search technique.

I have to admit I'm a little suprised at the price tag...is this stuff worth the price?

As far as the price:volume I guess I'm paying about the same for my filler from the automotive paint supply, but was hoping for a bit of a discount for the larger volume.

Chris

<<is this stuff worth the price?>>

Not compared to mixing your own (epoxy, micro, a little talc if it floats your boat), and you can't control viscosity (it's pretty stiff). But, a lot of folks like it; go ahead, try it.

You can cut it with MEK

<<is this stuff worth the price?>>

Not compared to mixing your own (epoxy, micro, a little talc if it floats your boat), and you can't control viscosity (it's pretty stiff). But, a lot of folks like it; go ahead, try it.

It will thin with MEK and seems to have no affect when cured. It does not take much, but if you need it to "flow" a little easier, try that. I used it as my primary filler on all of my glass work, very tough, light, easy to sand and form.

I found a distributor that has it in quart cans. I don't think I'll need more than that....hope not anyway. I just didn't want to drop $200 for 3 gallons of filler that I'll probably use 1/5th of.

The filler I'm using now is great but it's not cheap and working time is maybe 5 minutes so I end up with alot of waste. And I want something a little easier to use/apply/sand than an epoxy micro. combo.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be posting again in a few months when I'm getting ready to paint with a million questions! haha. Take Care.

Chris

I just ordered my second set of SuperFil last week for my Midget Mustang project.

I'd love to hear more about making my own version of SuperFil from Epoxy, Micro & Talc.

I've mixed a batch of epoxy and micro balloons, but it didn't sand nearly as nice as the SuperFil. That SuperFil stuff really sands nice. Is the problem that I didn't put any talc into the mixture?

SuperFil is a little pricey so I'd love to find a suitable, less-expensive altermative.

Thanks in advance!

Talc is the common "sanding ease" additive in just about every body filler product. I don't know what the styrene is for:

Bondo:
Resin 30 - 40
Talc 20 - 30
Styrene 10 - 20
Magnesium carbonate 10 - 20

Sherwin Williams Premium D2A136:
Resin 30 - 35
Talc 45 - 55
Styrene 15 - 20
Silica 3 - 5

Evercoat Rage Gold:
Resin 25 ? 30
Talc 25 ? 30
Styrene 15 ? 20
Calcium Carbonate 10 ? 15
Magnesite 5 ? 10
Inert Filler Proprietary 1 ? 5
Silica 0 ? 1

It is also interesting to compare the basic ingredients in Bondo vs "modern premium body fillers".

Usually the best place to determine the ingredients in a shop product is to look up the MSDS sheet. Sometimes they list everything, sometimes they just list the ingredients believed to be hazardous.

Bored? Go to this site, read a few MSDS sheets to see what's in 'em, then check price vs quantity against similar base ingredients. For example, West 403 Micro Fiber is cotton flock with a little silicon dioxide (Silicon dioxide is the only ingredient in West 406 Colloidal Silica, BTW). West 403 is priced at $182.84 per 20 lbs. Cotton flock is priced at $87 per 20 lbs. Yeah, I know, you don't need 20 lbs....just a similar quantity comparision. Lots of money in pre-mixing basic components and marketing a brand name.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Fillers/fillers.html

I actually bought a gallon of Bondo today from the aviation composites department of the local Auto Zone. I've made so many jokes about Bondo'd paint jobs that I considered wearing some sort of disguise lest I be caught purchasing such contraband!

Actually, I was happy to only spend $18 for a gallon of filler as all I'm doing is adding a hard layer to a styrofoam mold I'm making to modify my lower cowling on my Midget Mustang. No sense in using the expensive stuff when it's ultimately going to end up in a dumpster after the fiberglass cures...

I really lathered the stuff on and couldn't believe the heat it generated as it kicked off. I guess I've never had occasion to use such a large amount of filler in a short period of time. It was actually too hot for me to leave my hand resting on it.

I've got more slathering to do tomorrow. Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow I'll start the final shaping process.

Best regards,