hammer408

Working on my Fiberglass tips for my 9A and I purchased some Super-Fil for finishing work.......No instructions came with the Super-Fil and I'm wondering if I can apply it directly to the sanded portion of the fiberglass parts? ( I used epoxy system from West)....or does the fiberglass need primed first before I add the Super-fil???

That brings up a second question: what type of primer can I use on these parts? I will be painting them with Valspar Sunthane 2K polyurethane as the finish coat.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Henry
Finishing Kit
N918HB

hammer408 said:
Working on my Fiberglass tips for my 9A and I purchased some Super-Fil for finishing work.......No instructions came with the Super-Fil and I'm wondering if I can apply it directly to the sanded portion of the fiberglass parts? ( I used epoxy system from West)....or does the fiberglass need primed first before I add the Super-fil???

That brings up a second question: what type of primer can I use on these parts? I will be painting them with Valspar Sunthane 2K polyurethane as the finish coat.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Henry
Finishing Kit
N918HB

If we are talking about the super-fil that is blue and white and is mixed 1:2 (I think). It's a pre-mixed micro epoxy. So, yes, you can apply it over the top of sanded fiberglass (also done with epoxy). It's not very cheap stuff tho, and per it's weight, microballons and epoxy is probably a better choice.

Microballons in West mix up really good, and you want it really dry (meaning it doesn't "gloss" when you quit stirring it, and it will hold the peak, when stirred and you pull out the stirring stick).

I'd then wipe a little mixed raw epoxy on the surface with a rag or paper towel. You don't need a layer, just wet it out, but don't leave much epoxy. Then apply the Micro.

Also, the trick to get Micro smooth is to take a putty knive (width dependant upon usage) and heat it till it's hot with a heat gun (heat shrink tubing gun, or paint stripper gun). Then trowel the micro into the form you want it. You'll have to work fairly quickly and you'll only get a couple of passes with the putty knife before it cools. The heat will also kick off the epoxy, but it's so much nicer to work with. The knife will smooth it just like butter when heated.

As for primer, either epoxy or urethane will work just fine over super-fil or epoxy/micro. I use PPG K38, but there are lots of different primer/surfacers that can be used.

Hope this helps,

Yes

You can use the Super fil over the glass. If what you need is too thick I'd go with Micro balloons and epoxy as Alan pointed out.

Regarding primer, depending on your paint systems requirements you might want to use a toner to provide complete opacity before priming. This insures there is no difference in shades in the primer from dissimilar materials.

Blue Super Fil tip

You can thin the blue SuperFil with denatured alcohol and you can even smooth the surface, before it hardens, by putting some on your finger or whatever you are using for smoothing. This works for epoxy with micro baloons, too. Even good for cleaning brushes.

Super Fil Question

Thanks........appreciate your input......the areas in questions are rather small and Super-fil (the blue stuff) should work quite well. I have West system Micro before...I've used it on larger jobs, like the canopy.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Henry

I've used both. I've even added micro to super-fil before... Superfil sands easier than micro + west. One thing is for sure though, DO NOT PRIME! The superfil won't stick to sandable primer.