Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I launched this morning about 11:00 after doing a little maintenance work, intent on simply enjoying the flight. A brisk wind was picking up on the surface, creating bumps down low a little earlier than usual, but there was a 50% layer of flat cumulous between four and five thousand that promised smooth air and sunshine above. With cool jazz playing through the headset from the XM, I climbed through a wide hole and surveyed the broad white expanse of autumn air – perfect for a little “playing around”

I don’t do precision aerobatics – don’t have the patience (or quite frankly, the stomach) for getting involved in a demanding hobby where people are judging me all the time – but I enjoy the kind of free-form flying made possible by the RV-8’s strength and agility. Call it poor-man’s ACM, call it flying repetitive unusual attitudes, I simply call it moving around in three dimensions and enjoying the view. Always keeping a little positive G on to keep the oil in the sump, I combine various kinds of rolls, loops, half-loops – and all of the maneuvers in between. There is plenty of energy to have a ball, and flying on top of a deck (maintaining legal clearance above, of course!) gives you the illusion of flying your aerobatics lower than anyone with out a waiver would want to do – it makes for a “soft” hard deck that gives you visual relative motion and “terrain”.

On a day like today, I can fly for thirty minutes without ever letting the plane stay in straight and level flight. I did enough Acro when I was young to learn my maneuvers, but spent the 25 years before my RV flying non-aerobatic machines, so it has been a readjustment in both techniques and physiology to get back into it. When I started up again, I liked to keep my head fairly rigid to prevent self-induced motion sickness….but after a couple of years of readjusting, I love moving my head around while upside down. I enjoy picking a spot on the ground (or on the cloud deck), and keeping my eye glued to it while rolling inverted or flying a loop. The bubble canopy of the -8 makes this kind of “target spotting” simply breathtaking – and sorry, I wouldn’t trade it for the slightly faster speeds of a fastback…..

After 45 minutes today, it was time to drop in to a neighboring field for cheep gas before heading home (KLBX - $3.47/gallon now!), and just as I was ready to start down, a several-mile-wide hole appeared that allowed me to pull up to bleed off airspeed and start with a split-S to loose a thousand or so. What a way to descend – Split-S, then a step bank in each direction, and before you know it, you’re almost down to the pattern. Bumps down low, but who cares – it was heaven up above, and the sunlight is still peeking through the numerous breaks in the deck. In fact, it is going scattered, and the weather is gorgeous – good enough for a few more loops and rolls on the way home after filling up. Maybe even good enough to go back out for an evening session, just before sunset.

Long cross-country’s are wonderful – the flexibility and mobility afforded by the RV’s is hard to beat – but it’s nice to have a day without a destination, just “to Dance the Sky with Laughter Silvered Wings….”

So what are ya’ doing reading this? Go fly!:D

Paul

Last edited:
RE:Thanks for a reminder!!!!!!!!

Paul thanks for a reminder as to why I have spent three very hot summers and three cold winters in my garage building my RV7A. Lets not talk about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I look forward to shortly joining you and others in the ranks of the "THE CHURCH of the PERPETUAL RV GRIN". I am 95 plus percent done with only about 120 percent to go. So maybe early spring will be my baptismal of air.;)

Frank @ SGU RV7A.....Airframe 99%/Panel / Electrical 99%/FWF 85%....baffles in fab with the cowl done use/plus all those little details:eek:

Last edited:
LBX's is my OLD home drome. Worked there as a kid. I remember paying $1.36/gal there for 100LL in my VariEze in about 1997. Best prices around! Rumor is they have a restaurant now too.

If it weren't for the 50knot winds here over the past week, I'd be flying too!

LBX's is my OLD home drome. Worked there as a kid. I remember paying $1.36/gal there for 100LL in my VariEze in about 1997. Best prices around! Rumor is they have a restaurant now too.

They do have a restaurant, but I never seem to go there....never open on Sunday's, and used to be some strange Saturday hours...

Heck, Avgas was only $1.75 when I was getting ready to start test flying the Val two years ago!

Heck, Avgas was only $1.75 when I was getting ready to start test flying the Val two years ago!
Well whatever the price, we all need to get out & dance through the sky more. Hopefully the weather (winds & smoke) here will start to cooperate more & I can get out for a little formation aerobatics soon (Sharpie, ahhhemmm.)

Thanks for the great writeup!