rvator51

Well Known Member
Has anyone put suncreen on their RV-4 canopy? Thinking about buying some long strips at the auto parts store and putting a dark layer along the top of the canopy. Because of the curve of the canopy, not sure how good it will lay down. Any success stories?

Works fine

When I have long cross country flights I use the static cling auto tinting to help block the sun. I keep a small piece in my flight bag (approx. 12" by 12") that I move with the sun. I don't know how I would feel putting it permanently on my Plexiglas canopy because of color bleeding. Be careful when opening the canopy because wind will blow it off.

Im trying to tackle this same issue. I recently purchased a -4 that had the static cling right above the pilot seat. (about 6x12) I tried to peel it off and the glass is ruined underneath. in looks like snowflakes in the glass and it wont buff out. If you use the cling tint be sure to remove it every time you get out.
My other thought was the suction cup screens from wallyworld. I cant get any cups to stick to the curved canopy...

Rv-4 shade

HAD TO HAVE: I spent 3 days designing a retractable sun shade for the RV-4. I sent Ralph Koger the demintions for the RV-4 Canopy, and he manufactures a shade for the RV-4 now, similar to all of the other RV models that he sells. It works great. Highly recommended. Give him a call, I am sure he is on the net.

Shawn Scott
RV-4 Flyer

Walmart has static cling screens for $3.00 each. They may need to be trimmed to lie flat. I have three of them in my -8A. They work great,
but I'm not happy with the amount of bubbles (no effect on performance)
and the way it looks. I believe they are 7 - 8" wide and 12" long. I would
like a Kroger shade but not ready to part with the $200+ for one.

Hi Mark,
I emailed Ralph he responded to me. I dont think he would mind my posting his response here.

Tom,
Yes I do modify the RV-8 shade to fit the RV-4 airplane.
The RV-8 shade is 15" wide by 46" long and I cut off the square front and taper it to fit the RV-4 canopy.
All canopies are different lengths and I suggest that you place a piece of electrical tape above the pilot head and the passengers and see the length that your want for coverage.
I will cut and fit to your measurements
The cost of the shade is $245 plus $12 shipping in a PVC pipe by postal priority mail. Shipping damages required.
I don't have a credit card system, so mail me a check with shipping address.
Thanks for your interest in my shade.Ralph Koger
1947 W 1st St Extension
Boone, IA 50036
515-432-5714