Dmadd

Well Known Member
Odd question coming up. ;-)
Do you guys know of anyone who sells a wide brimmed hat (with holes) that a head set can fit through? I need to more sun protection in my "4". Also, if the hat (that holds the headset) had a strap to keep all of it in place during acro, that would be even better.
Has anyone ever come across something like this?
Thanks
Dennis

No but I just switched to an in-ear headset primarily for hat-compatable sun protection and also for a little more negetive G canopy clearance.

Happy so far.

My grandad had a hat like that for his mule. Instead of cutouts for earphones, the cutouts were for ears...on the mule that is.

Ditto on the in-ear headset (mine's a Halo)....not being able to swap to a brimmed hat in-flight was the primary reason I switched headsets!

Paul

Sun protection

I agree with the others who have suggested an in-ear headset.

I usually wear a ball cap, but will wear my Tilley hat on long cross-countries.

The in-ear headset is an acquired taste, but it's hard to go back, especially in the summer.

Try the Tilley Hat. My wife has one that snaps up on both sides or one may leave it down. I would think that would work ok. Mine doesn't have that feature. http://www.tilley.com/home.asp?countryCode=US

You should be able to find them at some of the major fly-ins as well.

Hope this helps.
:cool:

Bought the Tilley hat, and today saw my first "in ear" headset down in Lebanon TN at the fly in. Will read the write ups previously posted on this site to to figure out which model will work the best for me.
Thanks all,
DM

Hearing loss

DM: Thanks for taking the comment about the mule in good humor. As for the "in ear" headsets, the consensus among pilots seems to note that they are more noise attenuating than ANR's. The problem we all face as pilots is that hearing loss is a reality, and its progression is not linear, but instead exponential... (See Jay Pratt's birthday card in a recent post). Every ounce of prevention we can take to safeguard our hearing is essential. I use an "in ear" set modified to fit my helmet while flying my Pitts, and its made a good deal of difference, especially in the fatigue department after a good aerobatic practice session.
Regards,
TN

DM: Thanks for taking the comment about the mule in good humor. As for the "in ear" headsets, the consensus among pilots seems to note that they are more noise attenuating than ANR's. The problem we all face as pilots is that hearing loss is a reality, and its progression is not linear, but instead exponential... (See Jay Pratt's birthday card in a recent post). Every ounce of prevention we can take to safeguard our hearing is essential. I use an "in ear" set modified to fit my helmet while flying my Pitts, and its made a good deal of difference, especially in the fatigue department after a good aerobatic practice session.
Regards,
TN

Tom.
When I tee it up like that, ya gotta take the shot. ;-) BTW, I'm watching animal planet as I type. ;-) Which "in ear" do you use? Theres quite a price diff between the Clarity and the Halo.
Best,
Dennis

Clarity vs. Halo

WE may be getting OT here, as the thread was about sun protection. However, one can wear these headsets with any type of headgear, so protection is afforded to the noggin as well as to the inner ear. The first advertiser I saw on this site was Halo, so I went for it. Good customer service, good price, good performance. I clipped off the wires on the old Dave Clarks fitted to the DC cloth helmet, and applied the Halo with tie-wraps to the over-the-head band. It takes an extra minute to insert the in-ear plugs, then get the DC's over my ears. The noise attenuation I get from the combination of both, however, is awesome. An unexpected feature is that I can hear the wind in the flying wires of the Pitts when I pull the canopy back on initial, and I get an added sensory aid all the way down to the flare on landing. I liked the Halos so much, that I bought an extra set, and use it in my Skywagon. I allows one to use a Fedora in the cockpit for that extra touch of class.....
I'm sure I'll use them in my RV-8 if ever I finish it.
Regards,
TN