Jarhead88

I'm New Here
I've noticed a lot of Sun n' Fun questions lately. Just thought I'd introduce myself and offer a different perspective if anyone might be interested. I've been an avid reader here since my first RV flight a few years ago. In the interest of full disclosure, I don't have an RV, though I hope to be in the market for a -4 very soon. In anticipation, I ordered a VAF hat and it fits. Now I need the plane to go with it...
I'm usually a controller in NY, but also work ATC @ LAL every year for Sun n' Fun. It's a privilege to be invited to work with such a great group of guys, many of whom also work OSH during Airventure also. Excellent controllers and aviation enthusiasts all.
I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you might have. Informally and in no official capacity of coarse.
If you see some ugly guy in the orange FAA ATC shirt and a VAF hat ogling your plane, it's me and I apologize. Hope to see lots of RV's next week!
Big Skies,
-Phil

I see it's your first post on VAF, welcome aboard. I hope to fly through your area later this week onroute to LAL, in our RV-10. I'll probably have a million questions you could answer if we had room to carry you along with us on our journey.
Ron

Welcome Phil,

And... Thanks for the excellent job you do for all of us @ Sun & Fun!!

Maybe we'll see ya there. :)

phil,

welcome to the group. we will be seeing you every day as we commute to snf. flying in & out every day is a blast. i noticed that they stopped taking the IFR slot reservations last year. the slots were always wide open. one week to go.

Welcome Phil.....to VAF

Perhaps you might share your biggest peaves that you see at SnF.

Too close behind other airplanes, too fast? Not landing on the designated colored spot?

Best,

Hey Phil, are you the wise guy who broadcasts "She hates it when you're short!" if a pilot touches down before the designated dot? ;)

Safety concern feedback ..

Some of the controllers (in my opinion) "push" the pilots to get TOO CLOSE in for the base to final turn. Many of the pilots are flying:
- more loaded than normal
- slower than normal
- more distracted than normal
- MUCH closer in than normal (yes, I know they should not have 1 mile wide patterns)

and then they are told to "keep it in close!, turn your base! turn your base!"

This has the potential for the lethal base to final turn.

Suggestion: Not so close in and people can adjust a little better.

(I am used to tight turns for landing (formation stuff) but I recall having to IGNORE the controllers call for me to be tighter as the circumstance was not a good one.)

I think the controllers "encourage" close in b-f turns because if they don't, many pilots will fly wider and wider downwinds and bases - our tendancy when we're going to a new place, looking for traffic, etc.

Remember - the threshold is displaced more than half a mile. You can make a NORMAL base leg (with respect to the shortenend rwy threshold) but it won't LOOK normal because of the unusable runway that will be beneath you. No need to overtighen the turn or fly another half mile out beyond the end of the pavement.

Phil - welcome to VAF. See you at the power plant! I'll rock my wings.

What he said...

About the Sunset Grill.:p
We will enjoy another SNF and are getting closeer to flying the "7" now that we have a new prop and pick up the engine parts in 2 weeks

Very helpful post...

...and clarifying things for the first timers and good reminders for us "old timers" too:)

Thanks,