CBRXXDRV

So most of us remember an event At Sun-N-Fun that was a timed event but it was a "Race" and since Races are not allowed it was no longer held and there was many who were not all too happy.

I have been asked to put the word out to the RV world that they (Sun-N-Fun) are trying this Timed Showcase event. Sounds like fun and could grow from this point.

Showcase Sprints and Cat Shot

During the 2013 Sun ?n Fun Fly-in, a pair of fun events for performance enthusiasts will be held at Lakeland-Linder Airport. Here is the opportunity to demonstrate your piloting precision, and test your airplanes performance in a time trial.
The Cat Shot is a timed launch from flag drop to the 6000? mark where timers will clock elapsed time. Aircraft will be launched one-at-a-time. Sprint contestants will continue their takeoff and run a short 23 NM closed course, finishing overhead to stop another clock.
Register at: http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/EventActivitiesAndSchedules/SprintsandCatShots.aspx This process will collect all the usual paperwork data. Specific classes will be determined by participation. The first event will be limited to single engine piston aircraft. The numbers of entries are limited by the available time slot during a busy convention.

Sal Capra
N898SC RV8
Lakeland FL

Timed Event

Craig Payne did not mention this in the release he sent me but there is always a need for people to help with the event. Craig Payne's contact info is contained in the link found above. I plan on helping that day, there is a need for spotters on the turns as well ground support. Understand that this is an effort to get something like this going again. I remember a group of pilots that had a corn roast many years ago. It is now called Sun-N-Fun because people got involved. Some say that SNF has lost that loving feeling. Well there are those working hard today to get that feeling back. Sometimes nothing ever changes unless we change it. Get involved on some level...fly, help, or just watch the action. What "Grass Roots" really means is that some people have to do some mowing.

Sal Capra
N898SC
Lakeland FL

I tried

Well, I thought that I had my duckies in a row to challenge the Lancairs in the Cat shot, insurance in hand and all the paperwork, but I'm only going to be there on Wednesday, so I'll miss the Tuesday afternoon briefing. Here's an email from Craig to me yesterday:

Pierre,

Unfortunately, time is at a premium for this event. I have to brief my volunteers at 8:30am and deploy them to the various turn points and stations to monitor the event. Then there is a check in pilots at 9am on Wednesday with a short brief for weather, and current air ops activity. At 9:30am the pilots need to start staging, it will be a line-up and wait for our opening.

The briefing on Tuesday afternoon will cover the course and rules as well as emergency SOP. Contestants need to be there for the full brief.

Craig Payne
Sun 'n Fun Volunteer

It's kinda late to find a place to stay on Tuesday night, so I guess I'll just spectate.

Best,