Vlad

Well Known Member
I've never been there. But I would like to go this year. I was reading their official website and different accounts of people who visited Sun and Fun previous years. What I would like to know is how much approximate budget could be this year?
Is it comparable to Oshkosh or should I plan more money?
Are there accomodation types like they have in Oshkosh? College dormitories, private housing or other affordable options?
Is it possible to commute to/from the grounds without renting a car?

I like to plan all my trips and visits in advance. This way I can arrange my vacation time at work and find the best way to get to Lakeland from New York/New Jersey area. Also if somebody is heading down south, please let me know, I would gladly share expenses.
Would appreciate any tips from seasoned visitors.

Well, here's my thoughts, YMMV.

-- Costs are about the same for food and such (at least the last time I went which was 2003), so if you use the same numbers you used for OSH you should be fine
-- IMO housing is kind of an apples and oranges comparison to OSH (I use to live only 30 mins away form Lakeland so admittedly I haven't explored all the possibilities), because Lakeland is roughly 45 min East of Tampa on I-4 and 45 min West of Orlando on I-4 so there's a bajillion hotel rooms available. Also, as it's a Spring event (and not Spring Break) school will still be in session so dorms are a non-player. It's also a smaller event (maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 of an OSH attendance depending on whose numbers you believe) so the competition for housing is much less.
-- The Hotels around the area may have shuttles, otherwise there's not that much around the immediate vicinity of the airport -- I'd recommend renting a car if your budget can swing it.

That's sort of a "local's" perspective, so hopefully a veteran attendee that's traveled to be there will chime in with solid advice.

I've always stayed in Orlando, it's an easy drive to Lakeland, about 40 minutes and a bunch more hotels and dining. Plus if you add a few days you can do the Disney/Epcott thing. Food on the airport is your usual overpriced but not bad quality. The coffee lines in the morning are too long!! I always liked Sun n Fun, it was much easier to get to talk to the vendors but some don't attend, I think Stein sat out last year. It's a nice show, parking isn't bad as long as someones catalytic converter doesn't set the parking lot on fire:eek:

First, I'll admit I haven't been to S&F for a while, but I believe it isn't the value that Oshkosh is. Kinda like paying the same for half the product. Perhaps the best thing is getting away from the weather here up north, but it is improving by that time anyway. Not bashing S&F, but if you can afford the time and money for only one (and why else would you be asking) I would consider Oshkosh. NOTHING tops Oshkosh!

Bob Kelly

sun and fun

I've never been to Sun & Fun but I did visit the museum once. Gotta say it was disappointing. Guess I was expecting too much. FWIW the Dayton Ohio air museum is a show stopper and its free.

Rick S.
No chance of grass fires last year, parking lot would more closely resemble a swamp.

Bob,
I am going to Oshkosh anyway, I stayed there the whole week in 06 and 07, but I missed 08 and it was enough. Going this year. Budget of twelve hundred is already approved:) Why I am asking about S-n-F? I would like to see myself what it looks like at Lakeland.

RickS,
Excellent idea about Disney. JSC is just around the corner too. But all this requires a car. Gotta think.

Sun-n-Fun

Vlad I have been to Sun-n-Fun every year sense 1995. I have only been to Osh 3 times in that same period. It seams to me that SNF has a grass roots feal to it that Osh doesn't, at least for me.... Camping is the way to go for me.. If you stay in the Orlando area the hotels and food are much better but you will need to plan for the Rental car....You have to plan to be there for the Night Air Show on Friday night it is always awsome...Jet Blue Air Line has some affordable rates from JFK to TPA book ahead I fly back and forth from TPA to JFK they have free direct tv at every seat. Fly Jet Blue it pays my bills thank you!!!!!!

Thanks for tips Richard

... Camping is the way to go for me.. If you stay in the Orlando area the hotels and food are much better but you will need to plan for the Rental car....You have to plan to be there for the Night Air Show on Friday night it is always awsome...Jet Blue Air Line has some affordable rates from JFK to TPA book ahead I fly back and forth from TPA to JFK they have free direct tv at every seat. Fly Jet Blue it pays my bills thank you!!!!!!

Never flown JetBlue though, gotta try.

Depends on what one is looking for

First, I'll admit I haven't been to S&F for a while, but I believe it isn't the value that Oshkosh is. Kinda like paying the same for half the product.

Mmmm. Yep. Definitely pay similar at SnF and get a lot less crowded conditions and way more time to talk with the vendors at length without being pushed out of the way. It is true that OSH is special and one should travel to that mecca at some time or another, but for someone that has been many times over the last 38 years, SnF is a welcome break and is just as useful to a mid stream builder. I think it depends on the "mission", just like panel design. :)

Sun n Fun

Vlad when I think about Sun n Fun I think "Oshkosh lite" It's like a very early Oshkosh from the 70's . Everything is smaller but prices.

SunNFun

After many years, I have it refined to one of two options:
One, Fly into Lakeland and camp, stay on the grounds for the duration.
OR
Two, fly into Winterhaven, rent a car right there at the FBO, and rent a local hotel room, or - if you have a large enough party - rent a local house for the week. (I used www.VRBO.com)

Are there accomodation types like [...] or other affordable options?

I checked some hotel prices as well and if you book hotel now for a week or the S'n'F week you end up payin' about 1.5 prices. This seems to apply every near by hotel.

Example for random hotel, same room type etc. Kingston Lakeside Inn

1st Feb - 6th Feb, US$ 413.88

20th Apr - 26th Apr, US$ 599.88

That's 1.45 times increase for S'n'F week... nice way to welcome people. Although what I've understood that Lakeland is quite small town and all hotels are booked full anyway so as a owner of the hotel I'd do exactly same. :eek:

This will be my ninth year attending and third year flying in. Of course, some expenses are unavoidable: paying entrance fee (even if you fly in and your plane is a static part of the show :confused:, a biplane ride with my son (that has become a tradition with me and minnie me so it is part of the SNF budget), airshow food which we love but is very expensive.
So, this year I am packing a cooler with food and drinks and one of my EAA chapter buddies who drives in will carry it for me and deliver it to our chapter campsite. I figure that I will save a bunch of $ this way and only splurge on those things which we can't do without such as milkshakes, pizza and gyros!
Best advice is to find a place to periodically chillax (chill/relax) which is shaded because all that walking and galking in the FLA sun tends to be draining. Having a place to recharge and drop your stuff is priceless, even if you have to walk out to the lot to sit in your car with the AC on for a while. We usually head back to the tent for a little nappy time in the noon.

I checked some hotel prices as well and if you book hotel now for a week or the S'n'F week you end up payin' about 1.5 prices. This seems to apply every near by hotel.

Example for random hotel, same room type etc. Kingston Lakeside Inn

1st Feb - 6th Feb, US$ 413.88

20th Apr - 26th Apr, US$ 599.88

That's 1.45 times increase for S'n'F week... nice way to welcome people. Although what I've understood that Lakeland is quite small town and all hotels are booked full anyway so as a owner of the hotel I'd do exactly same. :eek:

Super 8 in Winter Haven, or the one in Auburndale on I-4 towards Orlando are good places to stay, with pools and good restaurants nearby. I don't recall ever spending more than $70/night for motel and that usually gets split with whoever's riding along. Just checked and it was $77.95/night plus tax. My wife's uncle used to live in Haines City, too bad that SOB moved to Ft. Myers. :) I used to drive over from his place to SNF every day in a '64 Mustang...free place to stay and cool car couldn't be beat...

Last edited:
I have received some very useful suggestions and contacts. Most likely I will volunteer with a sheet metal workshop if I meet their criteria:) Will camp, loaned camping gear is secured (thanks Charlie). I will be Jetting from KEWR to KTPA supporting the company paying cyberpilot10's bills:) I plan to arrive a day earlier and stay the whole week. Looking forward to meet you guys.

Any suggestions how to get from Tampa to KLAL in the evening? Shuttle,cab or bus? I decided against car rental.

Bet OSH rates are more than that

I pay more of a multiplier for OSH. I also go to the Laughlin River Run (a Harley run) about every year and a room in Laughlin will be between 2 and 4X. I am neither defending SNF or picking on hotel owners for reacting to supply and demand. But it is a fact of life you you wanna go play at somewhere that everyone else does, the prices will go up. Shame too.

SUN N FUN

I have been to Sun N fun for the past 10 years and OSH this past year. Sun N Fun is smaller and easier to get around for us old folks. If you are not camping on site you will need a car. As of two days ago Motel 8 in Mulberry,FL had AAA rooms for $63.00/night. From there is a 15 min drive LAL. SUN N FUN is not OSH, but it is still a great show.

Hay Vlad ...next year you can fly yourself!!

I've wanted to go to SnF too because my parents are in the Orlando area but I can never seem to get it worked out. Have a good trip. Put up a lot of photos for the rest of us!

Glad to hear from you Andy

Hay Vlad ...next year you can fly yourself!!

I hope to get in the air by next fall. The problem is - to get a hangar in our area is very problematic. I am on waiting lists at several places and lines are not moving. Some airports have hangars but first flights are not allowed... Kind of a circle.

Stop by Bayonne some day...

Can You Camp by Your Plane?

We plan on flying the 9A to Sun N Fun this year, but not sure exactly when. This makes car and room rental difficult.
Called them about camping, and the gentleman on the phone was a little unclear on the answer. My question to him was, if I park my plane in the display area, can I pitch a tent beside it?
His answer was basically I think there's no problem, there are a lot of tents.
I'd hate to arrive, and find I can't set up my little tent, and have no place to stay.
Would appreciate help on this question from any past experiences
Thanks
Jack

past S&F camping experiences

Jack,

I don't think that people camp next to the planes in the "official display area" but I could be wrong. However, the homebuilt camping area gets high marks from my son and me. The hospitality tent with smitty and the family is great. They do a steak grill out for the homebuilders there as the night airshow is going on. I think it's something like $10/ person for the meal = deal!

For me, the HB camping area is the display area! I learn a ton everytime I check out someone elses plane there and always kick myself a few times saying, "now why didn't I do it that way!" Easy walk to the rest of the festivities and it is not scorching hot like most OSH outings.

The only negative I can even think of is the sandy, grime that will get all over your plane as it is parked there. However, this is just part of living la vida loca in florida...

jeff -7A

Some airports have hangars but first flights are not allowed... Kind of a circle.

Wow, I never considered that. What airports are we talking about? I had hoped to buy a plane by now but I'm job insecure. But I looked at a lot of the airports in the area over the last half year or so (landed at most of them). I give you a lot of credit for finding a way to build in our area.

You may still see me poke my head in the door some Saturday.

Jack,

I don't think that people camp next to the planes in the "official display area" but I could be wrong.

jeff -7A

Jeff
The last time I flew into S n F, it was with the One Design, I parked in the aerobatic area, and I had a room in Lakeland.
When I drove to LAL 2 years ago, all the RV's were parked together. I guess that is the area I had in mind to set up a small tent, as that's where I intend to park the 9A.
Is that the area that you camped? I don't remember seeing any tents in the RV area when I was there, however, I wasn't interested at the time.
Thanks
Jack

Just remember it can get extremely hot there! People coming down from the north are not always prepared for the heat.

Central Fla in April can be almost anything. I've been there when it's 95 deg in blistering sun everyday. I have also worn a fleece jacket the whole time when it was rainy and in the 40's. Keep an eye on weather and be prepared.

I have been going to SnF yearly since the early 80's and I plan to return again this year. They have had a consistent improvement in their site with better displays and facilities. Drainage in the past was a real problem but is much better for those all to often spring deluges. (I remember walking on straw to keep out of the water...didn't help!!) The parking area still needs work as those that have been regulars can attest to. One year there was brush fires and last year a serious quagmire. Overall I would not miss it. Yes it is smaller than Oshkosh but that is what I like about it. They have just about any vendor that you would want to talk to. The number of planes in the display area varies mostly with changes in weather both local and distant. A real good daily airshow.
If you are thinking of going this year, I would go ahead and make plans. You have to remember this is Florida...plenty of hotels...plenty of rental cars...to the east there is Fantasy of Flight, Mickey World, SeaWorld and Universal Studios and a little further Cape Canaveral. To the west there is Busch Gardens and white sand beaches....For those few that might (It won't happen) get tired of looking at airplanes.

Leaving for Sun and Fun 2009

It looks like everything is as planned. Leaving the house in a couple hours to board a BlueJet (or is that JetBlue?) to Tampa. Plan to stay in Tampa tonight, will try to catch a ride in a Street Car or a show, time permitting. Monday morning will be on the grounds.
See you there,

HBParking vs HBCamping

Home Built parking is the area your talking about. No you can not camp with your plane there.

Home Built camping area has an RV area that you can camp with your plane. It will cost you $100 for the week even if you only stay a day or two. They really need to fix that!

Over Night Camping is $25 a night

These are the three different areas you have to choose from.

I am guessing that you could pitch your tent in the Over night camping area if you want to park your plane in the Home Built parking area.

Ride to Sun-n-Fun

Vlad if you need a ride to Sun-n-fun Monday call me..... I talked to Charlie yesturday... he offered to acid etch my emp... I drop my kids off at school at 8:30 a.m. I am headed out to Lakeland 2moro... I live between Tampa and Lakeland.. 813-785-6919

Rich Denton

ps thanks for flying jet blue it helped pay my bills this month

ride to S-N-F

Thanks for relaying the message Charlie, Vlad just called I will pick him up at the hotel 2moro

Rich Denton

sun n fun

ive been going to the sun n fun since i was 18 now 52 it was a real great fly-in when it started for a long time then they really got money hungry my kids grew up going every year it was great family fun now i just fly in for the day and leave that nite .i alway like the first few days because thats when it was really the most planes BUT THEY STARTED CHARGING FOR CAMPING ALL WEEK AND IF YOU LEFT ON WED. THEY KEEP YOUR MONEY WELL THAT AINT RIGHT I DONT MIND PAYING FOR WHAT I USE BUT DONT CHARGE ME FOR NOT USING IT THATS LIKE THE GOVT WE BRING OUR PLANES TO SHOW AND THEY RUN OUT TO YOUR PLANE TO COLLECT MONEY BEFORE YOU CAN GET THE ENGINE STOPPED THEN I FOUND OUT WHAT THE BOARD MEMBERS GOT PAID THEN I KNEW WHY IT COST SOOOOO MUCH TO GO TO THE S-N-F
SOME ONE NEED TO START A GRASS ROOT FLY IN IN THE AEAR AT THE SAME DATES
THANKS I FEEL BETTER NOW

going home

I dropped Vlad back a Tampa Airport Today. I hope his first SUN-N-FUN experience was a good one. I just got my camper cleaned out and ready for the first really good nights sleep in 7 days. Come on Sun-N-Fun 2010. The Volunteer Kitchen Provides sandwiches for all the Volunteers Lunch during the event. We averaged 2,500 sandwiches per day. EAA Chapter 175 (serving those who serve)

Rich Denton

Last edited:
I am home

Thank you Rich and Charlie for everything. It was COOL! I was volunteering with sheet metal workshop the whole week. I will post some pictures in other thread. See you next year!

SNF

Great SNF this year, I ate your sandwiches for six days, good job. EAA Chapter 797, Catfish Squadron, Flight line Tours. I look foward to SNF every year as I have for the past 34 years. Volunteers are what make SNF and Oshkosh.
Gerry

As far as costs go this year....

$100 on fuel getting there and back. ($40 of mogas and $60 of avgas)

$83 for 1 night of camping in HBC and 2 days show admission. (Not sure where the $100 no matter how many nights you camp comes from. It's $25 a night)

$11 for lunch the first day

$20 for all you can drink beer and BBQ that night

$3 for a gatoraid the next morning. Departed right after noon and ate when once back home.

For a total of $217. Not bad for 2 days of camping at Sun-n-fun

Fun is over. There is still some sun left.:)

Spent $756 for 9 days. Everything included. There were some leftovers enough to buy B&C alternator and regulator, Bruce custom canopy cover and a snap-on tool. Life is good.

Last edited: