David-aviator

Well Known Member
There's no mention of the Lakeland fly in on the EAA web site and no mention of EAA on the SNF web site, just wondering if OSH and SNF have had a falling out?

Probably over money if so, I like both events and would hate to see a split for whatever reason.

EAA

David,
I think they parted way's a couple of years ago. Hasn't really changed anything as far as the flyin goes, at least not to me. It's a great way to start the year down here in the South.

Actually, the split occured back in 2005. EAA is still present, just doesn't officially sponser the event.

The rumor (as I don't have a factual article to point to) I heard was that EAA was trying to get away from the liabilities involved.

So independant companies have set up and run the fly-ins. --- I think the same company that runs the Copperstate Fly-in is running Sun-n-Fun?

Anyhow, EAA is present at them all, but only owns and takes responsibility for AirVenture.

=== UPDATE ===
Here's the post from the EAA:
http://www.eaa.org/news/2007/2007-12-20_flyins.asp

I believe this all stemmed from a lawsuit brought against the EAA at the Northwest EAA Fly-In. A good article was found at:
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/01/11/220686/eaa-ends-blanket-insurance-coverage.html

Last edited:
eaa

The final straw came from the fatal RV6 crash at Arlington several years ago. The survivors sued EAA and won a substantial amount. EAA was appealing the last I heard. As a result EAA is no longer directly involved with any fly in except Oshkosh.
Strictly lawyer talk.

The final straw came from the fatal RV6 crash at Arlington several years ago. The survivors sued EAA and won a substantial amount. EAA was appealing the last I heard. As a result EAA is no longer directly involved with any fly in except Oshkosh.
Strictly lawyer talk.

I suspected as much.

At least they have not shut down flying. :)

s-n-f

me thinks it was a money thing i call eaa to complaine about something and they said they didnt have any thing to do with s-n-f and come up to osh and they would treat me better so i boycotted s-n-f last year and went to osh and they were right

My CRS thoughts:
I thought the EAA broke with the S&F flyin before
the NW flyin trouble. The change of support to the other
regional fly-ins did seem to happen after the lawsuit.
There 'may have been' other reasons.

The MERFI flyin was in trouble for a few years with the EAA.
Not sure why, but I remember Paul was 'unhappy' when MERFI
refused to fill up his P-64 one year.

Tullahoma, TN also had a great but short lived flyin.
The EAA severed connections with the flyin.

I wish I could remember the details but I think it was all
basically about money.

Tom (EAA # 7127)

NW

There was a change in the relationship with S&F before the NW accident, but the big change regarding all the fly ins came from the NW lawsuit, not about money per se, but about not being held responsible for the other fly ins in the future.

Arlington

The Arlington accident ocurred on Jul 7, 1999. New private pilot, 7 hours in the RV6, in a hurry.

EAA

I did a quick search and find nothing on any results of EAA's appeal. In this case is no news bad news for EAA???

Which lawsuit?

Here is an article on the reversal of a 10.5 Million dollar lawsuit as a result of an accident at the NWEAA/EAA 1999 fly in.

That is the lawsuit the EAA sighted for canceling support of regional fly ins.