rv6rick

Well Known Member
Realizing that many airplanes didn't make the show this year and that it got a little 'windy' down there......it's nice to see that the show went on.

No RV12's listed in the Lightsport catagory (none displayed?).

Only 1 RV listed in the Homebuilt catagory this year. Congrats to the builder for winning Reserve Grand Champion Kit Built.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-04-04_snf_warbirds.asp

My neighbor with a beautiful (all metal) Questair Venture won "best composite".

Having judged at SERFI quite a few years I was curious about how they do things at S&F. I walked over to the museum at awards time.

The "composite" Venture was a surprise, but I was really amused at the chief homebuilt judge going on and on about the special effort he made to get a picture of the Reserve Grand Champion Kit RV-10.....the picture on the projector screen was my RV-8.

Aircraft judging is perhaps a bit like the old axiom regarding politics and sausage; maybe you don't want to see it made ;)

...Aircraft judging is perhaps a bit like the old axiom regarding politics and sausage; maybe you don't want to see it made ;)

That's why at our annual Chapter 1000 fly-in, we only have "People's Choice" and the main rule is "no whining".:D And at the 170 Conventions, where there is actual judging, the score sheets are destroyed BEFORE the awards banquet.;)

I, like you Dan, can't figure out what's going on with the judging at SnF.....don't have the foggiest and afraid no one else does either.
But, for my two cents I thought your 8 deserved the award. It really stood out. Nice job!

....for my two cents I thought your 8 deserved the award. It really stood out. Nice job!

Thanks, but no, it does not. One gross example; I'm still flying it with terry cloth slip covers pulled over bare foam.

As for the award oddities, please note my chosen past participle was "amused". I suspect the S&F judging staff had a tough week just like everyone else.

Oshkosh will be here before you know it. The EAA judging system does work, but it helps to understand it. Study the standards, with particular attention to the decision tree and scoring sheet:

http://www.airventure.org/awards/judging_homebuilts.pdf

Here's a tip: don't miss opportunities for easy points. Yeah, you have a lovely airplane, but so do ten other guys. The top three are often separated by less than 5 points. The low-hanging fruit is in #7 and #9 on the judging sheet.

Do you have a really well done engine installation? If so, remove the cowl. Judges can't fairly score the powerplant section much higher than a 6 (see the decision tree) if their only view is through the oil door.

Make up a good presentation book detailing construction history. Section 9 includes "Judges Discretion". More than a few judges will be interested in how much of the work you did yourself vs how much you hired out. If you mastered a lot of new skills to get 'er done, make sure they know it. Most judges are old-school builders.