roadrunner20

Well Known Member
I received an email newsletter from the president on changes for 2013 as suggested by the aviation public.
Many of these issues have been discussed in this forum. This is a good start. They are listening.

Here's a snippet.

After collecting all the comments and surveys over the past month, we have come up with a few changes that will hopefully provide improvements to our world-class experiences. First, the aircraft parking areas will never be burnt again while I?m in the cockpit of SUN ?n FUN. Too much effort goes into preparing a beautiful airplane to be shown off at our event just to be trashed within minutes of parking by the soot left from burning the grass. (My Stearman still looks like it rolled in the dirt with pigs!)

Next, the airshow was way too long and will be shortened to 2.5 hours Tuesday through Thursday and 3.5 hours Friday through Sunday with the start time being approximately 2:30 to 3:00 each day. Additionally, the field will not close until the exact time the show starts and open right at the completion (approximately 6 PM). These changes will allow more of our fly-in buddies to arrive in their aircraft and enjoy all the 500 plus exhibits and vendors for a more extended period.

Ok, This is a shocker

Bring back the Sun 60 and Sun 100 air races that were cancelled by the management in 2005 after Aircraft Spruce had done all the promo work, collected entry fees, etc. for the annual event.

Bob Axsom

What was the reason for burning grass?

I believe this was a pre-emptive burn to prevent a fire from occurring especially when the grass is high & dry. They could just mow it. :)

I remember a few years ago, there was a fire in the auto parking area started by, I believe was a Maserati. It started a big Car-B-Que.

. . . .
Next, the airshow was way too long and will be shortened to 2.5 hours Tuesday through Thursday and 3.5 hours Friday through Sunday with the start time being approximately 2:30 to 3:00 each day. Additionally, the field will not close until the exact time the show starts and open right at the completion (approximately 6 PM). These changes will allow more of our fly-in buddies to arrive in their aircraft and enjoy all the 500 plus exhibits and vendors for a more extended period.

This is great news. I was in trail on Sunday when the airport was closed 25 minutes early of the published closure time.

I believe this was a pre-emptive burn to prevent a fire from occurring especially when the grass is high & dry. They could just mow it. :)

I remember a few years ago, there was a fire in the auto parking area started by, I believe was a Maserati. It started a big Car-B-Que.

Dan,
One of the members of my EAA Chapter did the mowing prior to Sun N' Fun for years. I know that his health has not been the best. I'll contact him to try to find out why the burn. I suspect that it might have been an issue with lack of volunteers to mow. That's a big job, that starts weeks before the show.
Charlie

Burning have any thing to do with those pesky little fire ants? :eek:

I've been there twice, first time is was very dry and windy. Couldn't believe how dirty everything got. The second time was during Mud-N-Sun. Only stayed one day, what a mess!

It's nice to see that SNF is open to tweaking the show to make it a better experience. I overflew LAL at 4500 ft a few days ago from FMY to OCF and was thinking to myself as I looked down at the field, "now there is one of my favorite places." See ya'll in a few days :)

It's the "Sprints" not races at SNF

Bring back the Sun 60 and Sun 100 air races that were cancelled by the management in 2005 after Aircraft Spruce had done all the promo work, collected entry fees, etc. for the annual event.

Bob Axsom

I have been actively looking for stout RV lads with a firm grip on the controls to enter the Cat Shot and Sprints but I only get the 'glass guys. Whats up with that?

Did the AOPA Mustang II v RV freak everyone out?

Its a venue thing...

I have been actively looking for stout RV lads with a firm grip on the controls to enter the Cat Shot and Sprints but I only get the 'glass guys. Whats up with that?

I like the idea in concept.

I have been running regional SARL races and did the Airventure Cup last year. Those are all purpose type events and they attract a small and common group to directly, plot, plan, and, participate but do not have much conflicting overlap with other events.

When a SARL event does get tied to another activity (like a car show or general fly-in) it seems to negatively impact the race; especially when the organizers become more interested in other activities (food, visitors, young eagle flights, car shows, helicopter rides, prize give aways, balloons,...)

I much prefer the race only events, or at least the ones where racing is clearly THE event.

Trying to have a racing event that requires a strong focus and attention within a big show environment does not fit for me where I am more interested in wandering around without a hard schedule.

Last edited:

I tried to enter but can't make the Tuesday briefing. I'll be there early on Wednesday if that's acceptable. I do believe that my -10 has an excellent chance at the "Cat shot".

Insurance is already in place.

Best,

I just saw this on the SnF Notam page. It looks like they have gone back on this decision. This is contrary to what is in the Notam.

Please note:

The daily airshow times have changed!

13:00 - 18:00 Tuesday - Sunday

Here's the link: http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/GettingHere/flying/arrivalProcedures.aspx