Camillo

Well Known Member
Don't know if the parts are named correctly.
Yesterday I started my annual condition inspection and noticed that the black seal retained from two clamps which connects the sump exit with the air/fuel mixture tube which goes into the cylinder is weared due to heat. A few particles start to come apart. See photo (more on my website; Flight! page; all scrolled down). Should I worry of it? Should I replace them? Where can I find them? Thanks.

2eq8f8x.jpg

Yes, replace.

If it were my engine, I would replace all of them---even if only one is showing deterioration.

These are a common source of engine rough running issues.

You can make a small metal heat shield with two legs (hat section). Slip the legs under the clamps with the small shield between the hose and exhaust. 1/2 inch clearance is enough.

Camillo it's very easy to change them I recently did mine.

Great idea on heat shield thanks aerhead.

Superior uses better silicone couplers on the cold air sumps. One could easily cut those down for use here. Silicone is far superior due to the fact it will not dry out like plain old rubber hoses do and is more resistant to heat.

Bob, have you a part number on those? They must be the same size hose as for carbed sump...? All I know is the PN for rubber.
Maybe SA642917-1 or -2
Thanks!

Last edited:
Initially, I did not understand Aerhed suggestion.
I like the idea of putting the shield on the intake and not on the exhaust.
Why not making a shield with two U shape stainless steel brackets which enter from the outside under the clamps? Below the side view of the shield: x is shield and SS; * is clamp web; dots are not relevant; placed to achieve proportions.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x.............................. x
x***.....................***x
xxxxx..................xxxxx