dougknight

Well Known Member
A friend at our airport blew the bottom out of his sump on a new superior IO-360(10hrs, rv6a) when it backfired the other day on start up. It was the light-weight bakelite sump and left a hole about the size of a grapefruit in it.:( He has located and recieved a cast aluminium one as a replacement.

Our question is, on re-installing the new sump and new gasket, do you fit them together dry or do you need some sort of gasket sealer applied to the surfaces first. Such as silver paint on a head gasket for an automobile engine or a splash of oil on the "O" ring of a oil filter to seal things up. Any little tricks out there to make sure this thing doesn't leak in the future?:confused:

We have asked local A&P's / IA's and get about 50% suggesting "do it dry" while the other 50% suggest some sort of sealant. What would you do?

thanks
doug
9a

I would personally love to flog any A&P that recommends putting any gasket on dry. Get some titeseal and rub the gasket with it on both sides, and install. It will never leak if you do this, will come apart easily and won't require scraping the next time it has to come apart.

Gasket

I would personally love to flog any A&P that recommends putting any gasket on dry. Get some titeseal and rub the gasket with it on both sides, and install. It will never leak if you do this, will come apart easily and won't require scraping the next time it has to come apart.

DITTO! DITTO!

ps Bob, I liked your old Avitar better.

Last edited:
I rubbed a light coat of fuel lube on both sides of the pan gasket.

Isn't that avatar the "Joy of Painting" guy on the PBS channels?

Your referring to Bob Ross " It's your own world you can make it any way you want".
Maybe Rocket Bob will get a PBS program " It's your own airplane you can make it anyway you want".
I enjoy both.