alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I've looked through a number of threads on the brake line topics and can't seem to identify a consensus opinion on what a suitable replacement would be for the VA-118-1 brake lines that Van's uses from pilot side master cylinders to the firewall.

Since I'm installing a parking brake, the lines Van's includes with the kit are way too long and will thus need to be replaced. I'm wondering what a good replacement would be. I'd prefer something that is at least as strong as the lines Van's provides and also something that looks nicer (and is perhaps thinner in diameter) that the big black-braided lines that Van's lists as the VA-118's (supposedly these are Aeroquip 303's?).

Aside from a source and hose type/brand, what do I need to ask for if I have them made for me--just a 37-degree flare on the ends to fit the 3/8" (I think) blue AN fittings to which they attach? What does the inside diameter of the hose have to be?

For one option, I found this link on one of Gil Alexander's posts in another thread. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I will be using the lines from Pegasus. They are rated at 3000 PSI, I beleive that is equivalent to the lines from Van's. I just received my order yesterday and will install them this weekend. Nice thing about the Pegasus lines, is you can get the -3 size and they are very light weight.

Jason
http://www.rvbuild.com

Just a thought: If you put the Matco valve in the same location and orientation as the original brake bracket on the firewall, you can use the original hoses without modification.

Jekyll

Jekyll said:
Just a thought: If you put the Matco valve in the same location and orientation as the original brake bracket on the firewall, you can use the original hoses without modification.

Jekyll
That does seem like the most logical way to do it. For some reason I thought I had considered that option but didn't think it workable. Maybe because of the how the push-pull cable would be oriented the wrong way (e.g. handle out = brake off / handle in = brake on, or something non-traditional like that.) Maybe that was before I understood how the valve actually worked. I'll go back home tonight and check that out. Thanks for the thought.