Dbro172

Well Known Member
Looking for advice, or maybe what not to do in terms of routing wires through the wings.

Prep work: I have drilled the main rib tooling holes out to 5/8" and installed snap bushings. I have also drilled the 3/4" hole in bottom of main rib and installed the corrugated conduit from root to tip.

Equip: Assume - Right Wing -
- Aeroled nav/strobe
- Duckworks landing light
- Archer wingtip Nav antenna
- Trio Autopilot Servo

I assume my options are as follows:

1. Group all wires inside conduit
2. Route Coax only through conduit and all other wiring through the bushings.
3. Route the Coax and A/P (because it stops at the bell/crank) through the bushings and all other wires through the conduit.

I have a hunch the coax should not be grouped with the wires... Any pireps or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dont forget to install a pull string before you close the wing. You could install the wiring now, but the pull string will allow you to do that later.

And when you do pull wires in, pull in a new string just in case you later decide to add something else.

The coax should be a foot or more from power wiring. The servo should not affect you much, but the lights may. If I were you (my opinion, not necessarily the best or only answer), I'd ditch the snap bushings and replace with conduit. Everything except the antenna through the tooling hole conduit (is that the forward tooling hole?). The antenna goes through another conduit located farther aft. This will probably pass over the aileron-to-bellcrank pushrod; fortunately, there should be room enough to do this without interference if you don't go to the aft spar.

Options

There are almost as many variants on this as there are primers:eek:

On my first 7 I used connectors at the tips and at the fuselage for wiring and coax. Makes servicing so much easier. I also bundled the RG400 with all the wires and haven't had any issues. Also locally grounded everything. Again no issues at all. I'm using Aveo landing/position and strobes and they are electronically silent. No noise, static or feedback with no special wiring.

On the new 7, I'm using aerospace cannon connectors at the tips and fuselage. I only have a picture of the tip rib connector. Notice the local grounds with fasten connectors. You can only see one, but I had all the wires laser printed every 6" as to it's purpose. You can see the "pitot gnd" labeling on the one wire.

I'm sure somebody might say I've got too many breaks in the wiring but this has not been as issue at all. I've seen inside many Military aircraft and they have literally hundreds of similar connectors and they seem to work. Should be fine in our short wire runs on our small aircraft.

14nh9ja.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Patrick, what brand strobe are you putting in tail? Have a whelen pwr pack for free spare if you want it. Pulled out my strobe from 9A tail.

I put all of the wires in the conduit, except for the AP servo wires, which need to be run part way, and they end up closer to the spar where the servo sits.

It is probably OK to put the coax in the conduit. You can always move it! Leave some slack.

On the new 7, I'm using aerospace cannon connectors at the tips and fuselage. I only have a picture of the tip rib connector. Notice the local grounds with fasten connectors. You can only see one, but I had all the wires laser printed every 6" as to it's purpose. You can see the "pitot gnd" labeling on the one wire.

Very nice, great to see good workmanship.:)